myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fatality @ Dougs
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loosescrew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Fatality @ Dougs Reply with quote

Windsurfer dies @ Dougs this afternoon. Not a lot of details at this point except that his gear was floating in the river, his friend recovered the gear but no person, dialed 911 for rescue, found face down in middle of river and towed in where CPR was administered. Witness says he was either looping or doing some other trick when he was hit in the head. No identity as of yet. Thanks to all who tried to help today.
johnnycak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Dougs Death Reply with quote

The person who died at Dougs was named Damian Winters. He was a great sailor and an even better person. Everyone who sails on that river should say a prayer for him because don't ever forget it could easily have been you. I bet Damian would have liked to thank everyone who tried to save his life especially the guy who was giving him CPR and his buddy Phil. They both did all they could.
trburl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Ringenburg of Portland, OR was the sailor that swam Damian to the shore. He tried to administer CPR on the water first. Scott is a samaritan through and through. In addition to Damian, lets all say a prayer for Damian's family, Scott and Phil as well.

Count your blessings, its just a bad break away for all of us.
Lance

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

positive thoughts. peace to all.
srr37

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott here- I was quite a ways downwind of Doug's with only a couple guys that were further down wind.
I was actually kind of looking for my friend Trudy that I had seen a bit before- but hadn't seen her go back up towards Dougs, so when I saw (just under the under the surface), a red harness just like Trudy's, I freaked- jumped in and pulled the head up to see it wasn't my friend. I saw no gear around and I knew it had been more than a few minutes time that had passed since his accident. I got behind him and put his head on my shoulder and started to kick to the OR side since I thought it was a bit closer. I tried feeling for a pulse but it was hard to determine out there with some big swell crashing over our heads.
My main thoughts were trying to get some attention from other sailors, whether or not to keep my board for flotation and the most frustrating realization, that I couldn't figure out how to try cpr in the rough 3.7 overpowered conditions. I held onto my gear which seemed slower but much easier to keep us above water. Tried keeping him on my board to no avail -but on my sail worked better.
After a while I felt the sandbar under my feet (sooner than I thought I would), but soon it got very slippery. There were a couple of guys sailing out in the middle but didn't seem to see me waving as I struggled in the mud. I finally got to the beach and started doing chest compressions and some breaths with a lot of water and some blood coming from nose/mouth and some blood from his eye. He had very short hair but still I couldn't see any signs of trama to his head other than the blood in eye /and slight possibility of a broken nose.
Within a cpl of minutes, a sailor that was waiting on the OR side came out of nowhere and happened to be an ER worker so we took turns pumping his chest when another guy came up and said he had called 911 already.
I'm guessing about 30+ minutes had passed since I found him, when the paramedics arrived. They didn't look hopeful when they found out the timeline - I think one told me 4-7 min. was about all you could survive without cpr.
Damian's buddy got there just before the rescue workers and my heart goes out to him and and the family. I didn't know Damian but felt I easily could have. I felt I should tell this to maybe help myself deal with what may haunt me a bit in the future. Thanks for the kind words of the previous posts and lets all keep an eye on each other out there!

I mainly sail the coast and my mom is always telling me how worried she is about that - but I've told her more than once.. Just remember if anything happens to me out there, It happened while I was doing something i love...
bajaguy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,
My heart goes out to you after reading your post. I admire your character and commend you for doing your best to save another person's life. Some people run from a tragic scene or stand and stare, but people like you jump in and do what ever you can to prevent the loss of life. You are a hero and I'm honored to be sharing the river with you. I only hope that I will have your courage and passion for life in a similar situation. You define humanity. Peace be with you.
wsmike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condolences for Damian's family and friends. There have been too many of these things happening recently and I can't help wonder if a helmet wouldn't have saved a few. I have but rarely wear my helmet, except for a few weeks after incidents like this occur it seems. Its not much of a fashion statement but models aren't really known for their intelligence are they? I know for me I'm going to get over myself and start strapping on the hard hat in 4.2 and better.
WMP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott for that post, and thanks so much for being there and taking the time to care for a fellow bro. I had a similar accident happen to me at Cheap Beach years ago... got knocked out in the middle of the river by someone who let go of their sail, hit me in the neck and everything went black. All I know is that I landed face down in the water and a good samaritan (like you) came along and made sure I made it back to shore. I will forever be thankful for people like you... your outstanding effort is what life is all about.

Thank you!!
scorpionfish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compassionate souls like Scott & the others help restore my faith in humankind. Sometimes we forget in the hustle of life. I can only pray that I react positively in such a situation. Thank you Scott & all who helped. Prayers & sympathy to family & friends.
ELdude4951

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great effort Scott, prayers and thoughts to Damian's Family. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: