myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Corpus Quiver
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, Gav can use his current gear, add a 6.0, and sail 4 daze a week easily except for summer hot spell doldrums.
S Texas can be really good, and Gav is great at pumping, uses powerful Freaks, and loves to Gecko and weirdo non planing tricks anyways.
And someone said.....sailing in trunks alone can overcome lots of obstacles, and consider the beachgoers DON'T need jackets and long pants !!!
Oh, the 4.7 is in Grasso's hands as of last week.
jse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. I'm sure he'll do fine with what he has, and if he wants to augment his quiver, I'll have him talk to Don at Worldwind. Probably best to buy locally because they will know what the best gear is. I know from personal experience, plus lots of hearsay that winds in Corpus can be similar at times to S.F. Except Warmer Smile Smile During orientation we looked around and spoke to locals. Hopefully he won't have to burn much gas to sail. I'm looking forward to visits. It is truly a beautiful place and a great university.

Thanks again, Steve
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordanwd wrote:
corpus can rock: not sure why yer spreadin the bad vibe about it iso..

Because of the 12-15 friends and I who gave up on the place after trying throughout the mid to late 1980s to find wind there in dozens of one-to-three-week trips in their prime wind months of Mar, Apr, and Nov. Most trips were total skunks because our biggest gear was 7.5s and 200 liters. The one guy who moved there for school and windsurfing gave up and left after a few years due to the weather and the lack of shortboardable wind for a 200-pounder with commitments. I keep asking people who go there whether it's changed, and so far very few think it has.

So when I see nothing but positive comments being posted and the OP has a significant investment at stake (e.g., flying over from Europe, moving there, buying gear just for it, choosing a school), I feel obligated to post the cumulative experience of something like a dozen people times 6-10 trips each over 5 years plus more recent feedback from several more people. And before anyone says, once again, that we're jaded by the Gorge, only one of the 1980's crews had been to the Gorge.

When I do comment on CC, I also refer readers to actually look at the bare facts like iW graphs of the past few years. All those 4.5 claims pale when confronted by days and weeks and months and years of wind mostly in the teens ... i.e., some good rides on a 7.5 and big board. As I've said many times, I've seen 50 kts there for a few hours, but I've also seen 11-12 kts for a hundred carefully selected days over several years.

Mike \m/
jse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

Because of the 12-15 friends and I who gave up on the place after trying throughout the mid to late 1980s to find wind there in dozens of one-to-three-week trips in their prime wind months of Mar, Apr, and Nov. Most trips were total skunks because our biggest gear was 7.5s and 200 liters. The one guy who moved there for school and windsurfing gave up and left after a few years due to the weather and the lack of shortboardable wind for a 200-pounder with commitments. I keep asking people who go there whether it's changed, and so far very few think it has.

So when I see nothing but positive comments being posted and the OP has a significant investment at stake (e.g., flying over from Europe, moving there, buying gear just for it, choosing a school), I feel obligated to post the cumulative experience of something like a dozen people times 6-10 trips each over 5 years plus more recent feedback from several more people. And before anyone says, once again, that we're jaded by the Gorge, only one of the 1980's crews had been to the Gorge.

When I do comment on CC, I also refer readers to actually look at the bare facts like iW graphs of the past few years. All those 4.5 claims pale when confronted by days and weeks and months and years of wind mostly in the teens ... i.e., some good rides on a 7.5 and big board. As I've said many times, I've seen 50 kts there for a few hours, but I've also seen 11-12 kts for a hundred carefully selected days over several years.

Mike \m/

So Mike, who am I to believe, the dozen or so posters here and on rec.windsurfing that say 5.5 to 4.0 conditions abound, or you, the only dissenter?

And just to make it clear, I have nothing invested in there being good conditions there. The school was chosen on its merits, and the degree program that was of interest to my son. The fact that he is literally a few steps from a windsurfer-designed engineered beach with good B&J sailing conditions is just gravy. In fact, I think that's a plus, when he could be going to any school here in the S.F. Bay area and fighting traffic in the afternoons to get to the myriad of venues here. An hour and a half session with no driving involved sounds a lot better to me with respect to getting any school work done.

Also, with respect to the investment involved, where did you get "flying over from Europe"?

Steve (Who sails 130+ days a year in the best place to live, work and sail - Northern California)
LeeD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know, all us travelers can find good wind sometimes, very little wind other times, and sometimes no wind.
Seems we only can judge based on our own actual experiences, our own wishes and hopes, and maybe a tiny dose of reality too.....
My thoughts....sometimes extremely windy months, some very light, thos I'd not go to windsurf in the doldrums of summer, like right now.
Gavin is an extremely talented windsurfer who planes early and has been into freestyle for a trio of years. He's also mature enough to know that sometimes the winds don't blow, and can live thru the downtimes with good humor.
If he really wants to maximise sail time, he'd know how to scam a 105 liter freestyle board, maybe a 6 meter sail, and throw vulcans in 13-15 MPH breezes.
But I'd assume you also want him to try a bit in SCHOOL, so maybe he should just sail on the windy daze and be good son when it's sub 8mph.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:
So Mike, who am I to believe, the dozen or so posters here and on rec.windsurfing that say 5.5 to 4.0 conditions abound, or you, the only dissenter?

An hour and a half session with no driving involved sounds a lot better to me with respect to getting any school work done.

Also, with respect to the investment involved, where did you get "flying over from Europe"?

Who you believe is your call. But if WSing were a criterion, I'd bank heavily on sensor data.

I'm jealous of a student with time for WSing. My play time in college was limited by classes and homework to one evening and part of Saturday, and I got about 4-5 hours of sleep on the good nights.

A European shortboarder inquired about lodging in Corpus for his planned two-week trip from home just for WSing at CC. He was persuaded by many respondents to rethink that idea. Other folks have made high-investment road trips there from distant parts of the U.S. with very disappointing results, so I think it's important that people hear both sides of the story and look at the sensor data.

I hope your son gets to sail his 4.5 five days a week for four years, graduates with honors, and gets a great job at a windy, wet place.

Mike \m/
mwood5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I've seen many posts by iso saying that cc isn't windy. I lived there from 88 to 93 and sailed as much as i could stand. I went to school there at TX A&M at CC as well. I lived across the street from oleander/cole park and sailed my ass off on my 4.7 and 5.2. They were my main sails. I had a 5.8 as well and it did get used a lot, but mainly it was the smaller sails that saw action. Granted, the 4.2 and smaller weren't used as much as you might use them at the Gorge or SF Bay, but I've never saild in SF, so I don't know....is a 4.2 your main sail there? Speaking of the school...I had my morning classes and would wrap them up around noon. That's when the wind would pick up daily. I'd grab a few hours and then go to the shop to work. Get off there and get a few more hours, usually sailing until dark. I typically used my then ancient wave board...a custom that was of questionable volume, but about a 8'6" board. Standard glass wave board, so probably in the mid 80 liter, I'd guess. It's been 15 years since I've seen that board, so it's all from memory there, but granted...corpus is windy. The only times that it's not windy (my definition of windy is 20+), is in the 3 or so months already mentioned. The end of June through about August is pretty dead. But, as already mentioned, the water is like a bath and full of cabbage heads, so no big deal. There were still days that were sailable in the Summer though, just more likely they were in the afternoons and on bigger gear. My biggest board then...well, after my F2 race board was stolen in about 89...was a ProTech 9' board.

I doubt the wind down there is much different these days...

m
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwood5 wrote:
it's all from memory there, but granted...corpus is windy...(my definition of windy is 20+)... I doubt the wind down there is much different these days...

By your definition, iW archives show that Ropes/Oleander has had four short "windy" days in 2008. And realize that for many people, 20 mph = a 7.5 sail.

\m/
mwood5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the archives say, I don't believe that's a fair representation of what's going on in the bay. Everyone that's sailed the bay for any length of time knows that there is a pretty strong wind line out there that simply can't be felt at the launch...or the sensor's position on the other side of the street.
Also, just b/c some sailors are still using 7 meter sails when the wind is over 20 doesn't mean it's not blowing. I was simply using that reference point since 20 mph is usually the spot where you'll see most folks breaking out their mid 5 meter sails and are fully planing on their short, fun boards.

I absolutely find it impossible that it's only blown 20+ on 4 different occasions this year at Ropes.

m
thomastatem

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Isobars Reply with quote

Isobars,
I am a little disappointed in your CC derision, I appreciate having dedicated time traveled/skunked ratios as a traveler of wind spots.....BUT honestly anyone should use sensor data as a mere indicator of prevalence of windsign, confluences and geographical heating and cooling all coaundate into different windspeeds even in the same body of water, hence windlines. All this you already know. But give the people who live at the actual site credit for not being Knotless and Clewless about the wind they sail!!! They are hardcore enthusiasts who love nothing more at the expense of wife, job and sometimes kids than to run for a blaster. I have surfed with some of the best in CC they are GOOOOD. Their knowledge and wave choice are every bit as good as fellas I've seen all over the states (OBX-NC/Gorge/N CA, SF,Gold B,Pistol) and sailed with. So props to my brothers in South Texas - all South Texas you know who you are , keep your sail cranked hard to weather!!!

Thomas T from Tennessee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: