myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sail size vs the boards volume???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimwilkins

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Sail size vs the boards volume??? Reply with quote

Sail size Vs Board Volumes????

I have a 85 liter board that I'll rig a 5.5 on, can i say go bigger to a 6.5, the only issue i could see would be the fin size. thanks for any input
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of issues here,
What style and board ? Sailor weight ? Powered up ?

The fin would help being larger, but the board itself has a range, ref: float and control.

I would answer without any further information that 6.0 would be 'bout right, unless you are light, like -150lb.

I would consider a 6.4 on my 87L Tabou 3S, my weight is 140LB/64KG

more like a 5.6--6.0. This is a wide/stubbie FSW board.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
jam-1

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you could make it work, but the question is whether it would be better to step up to a bigger board. Larger sails exert a larger downforce on the board. I have found that a sail that size makes the board "push" more. It is slow to get up on a plane, and it acts different even when it does get on a plane.
never_enough_wind

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a reasonably current board shape I think that you can get by OK with a 6.5 on an 85L with the appropriate fin. I sail a lot with my JP FSW 85L and a 6.6 North X-Type (no cam) sail. This combination works great with a 34cm MFC freeride shape fin. I am about 190 lb and will use this setup with winds from about 18-24 mph. Just crank in more downhaul for the higher end and hold on Very Happy
jimwilkins

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for info to the topic my weight is 160 and the boards are a mistral 85 freestyle/wave Score. The other is a Fanatic Bee 84,
afolander

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The board design and what you are trying to do on the water can have a big effect on what works for you. As an example of how board design can affect sails, I have three ~100 liter boards, one (Kinetic older style) which I sail up to a 7.7, whereas I will not rig larger than a 5.8 on my shorter length 103 Mistral Syncro.

I have been happy with an oversized sail for a given board going back and forth and perhaps jumping /carving jibes on smooth swell and steady wind in ebb conditions.

In chop or with gusty winds, a small board may manuever faster than you can control the big sail , resulting in:
- the sail feels sluggish compared to the board
- precision carving manuevers become problematic
- legs and ankles get more abuse in chop, a sensation not unlike going too fast down a hardpacked mogul field on snow skis.
- if the wind suddenly comes up you may also find that a small board / big sail combo may tend to spin upwind and stall out.
andydavis

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: sail size Reply with quote

jam-1 wrote:
...Larger sails exert a larger downforce on the board. I have found that a sail that size makes the board "push" more. It is slow to get up on a plane, and it acts different even when it does get on a plane.

normally, untrue
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice so far, but there's nothing like experimentation. Borrow a bigger sail (and if necessary a bigger fin) and try it out. If you doubt your own ability to give it a valid test, let a better sailor whose advice you trust try it.

I thoroughly and often enjoy bashing and slashing with a 5.2 on my 65-liter boards @ 190 pounds, and once sailed a 5.8 on them out of curiosity. (It was doable, but not recommended or repeated.)

\m/
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to say that because it is a marginal thing to do, but Iso is exactly right. I sail 5.3 on my 67 liter board and struggle if I am not way overpowered, but it works. I didn't like 5.9 at all. I like small boards and my favorite sail is a 5.3 Hot SF so for me it is a good time.
Anyone says that won't work hasn't been there like he has.
In windsurfing the only thing that doesn't work is something that isn't fun for you personally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: