myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Issues with tide tables

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jse

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Issues with tide tables Reply with quote

Hi,

Maybe this has been covered before, but I noticed today that all the online tide charts, plus some of the printed tide charts disagree with the iWindsurf charts by an hour. This is at the Golden Gate station. Is this a daylight savings correction? I bring this up because the other day I drove to Treasure Island expecting to be able to ride the ebb out to the windline, only to see it was flooding an hour earlier than expected.

Also, one more thing. Can the tide tables on the web page be reformatted so the ebb, flood, slack, hi and low don't collide with the time table, rendering them unreadable?

Steve
victor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive seen a two hour difference in the tables and actual tides happening. unfortuantely, the bay doesn't read the tide tables. at any given moment it can be flooding on one side, ebbing in the middle and slack somewhere else.

also, the tide tables read fine on my system.
jse

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor,

Have a look at Crissy, Golden Gate or Sherman Marker 14. Then check out the currents below the tide table. That's where the fields overlay. Also, I'm comparing the tide at the Golden Gate on iWindsurf with other websites or publications at the Golden Gate. Tides will vary from site to site, but for the same site, all publications should be in agreement.

Steve
bil7y

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: dont rely Reply with quote

on them. If you follow the tables on the websites you can see they are frequently updated mainly because they are always wrong. Use your eyes check the buoys and always pay attention to the water. The tables are so wrong its not even funny. I just gave up on them
SWE106

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, tides can be predicted 100yrs in advance with 99.9% accuracy, so how difficult should it be? I and others have noticed that PA (Palo Alto) often has a high tide before 3rd Ave has... that's physically impossible!

Use NWS' tide charts they are (more) correct: http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/PZ/530.html
pthorner

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Tides vs. Currents Reply with quote

The important thing to understand is that the tides are predictable but the currents are not. It is common to have a counter current that runs opposite of the main tide close to the shoreline. I have made it back up to Crissy East Beach from the St. Francis during a flood in sub planing winds by just tacking back and forth and letting the counter current pull me upwind. At TI you get counter current as well during a significant portion of the cycle and the sewer plant crew can tell you better than any chart when it works best. When a lot off fresh water comes down from the Sacramento River, it can even be ebbing and flooding in the same place with fresh water going out under the salt water that is coming in (which is the part you care about unless you are 10-20 under water). How the currents work follows general patterns, but it always going to be a bit different every day, so be ready be flexible and wear a warm wetsuit.

Peter
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter; great answer. I have always wondered about that, as have most above too. It does make sense although it is a bit tricky. Now can you run for Governor and straighten Cal out...
girsang

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Rainfall Reply with quote

It's my understanding that the tide charts are based on astronomical factors and don't take into account the amount of rainfall for the season. Is that correct?

It's been my observation that after big snow years, the ebbs are stronger and the floods are weaker. And for the past two weak snow years, I've felt that the ebbs are weaker and the floods are stronger.

This has been my observation and it would seem to make sense that the more water the basin catches, the more we will have flowing out of the gate.

Does anyone have any science to add to this?

I sail Crissy almost exclusively and I imagine Crissy would be affected the most by this.
pthorner

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rainfall Reply with quote

girsang wrote:
It's my understanding that the tide charts are based on astronomical factors and don't take into account the amount of rainfall for the season. Is that correct?

I think that is spot on. They generate the tide table data before they know what the river flow will be and it is impossible to estimate given variations in weather and variations in the amount of water that is pulled out of the river for agriculture or to send south. Weather can also have a direct impact on tide levels and currents. During the big storm just after new years, the tide levels in Richardson Bay were running about 2' above the predicted level because of excessive run off and 60 m.p.h. southerly wind that were driving water up toward Strawberry and Tiburon Blvd.
mac

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All written so far is essentially correct. There is an assumption in the tide table generation about delta outflow (river flow), and more outflow means greater (longer and stronger) ebbs. After a particularly rainy year, it almost never flooded at the gate. A lot of freshwater changes the dynamic in another way; since freshwater is lighter than saltwater, and rides on top. To amplify Peter's point about higher tide levels. Big changes in atmospheric pressure or wind also change water elevations. If there is a big low, it means less atmospheric weight on the water, and the water level is a bit higher. If there is a lot of freshwater, less dense, a slight increase in water level. Finally, if there is a big wind field (major Pacific Storm coming from the deep Pacific), the wind presses the water against the shore faster than it can run back. In the case of the big 1987 series of storms, this anomoly was as great as 3 feet! Combined with storms that happened at annual high tides, and 30 foot deepwater waves, lots of coastal damage. A typical El Nino means about a half a foot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: