myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Leo sensor jacked up again!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theq,

You know, I thought 5.0 and brought it all to the beach (not a short distance). After sticking the mast in the sail and getting ready for the extension, I realized that I was following the wrong path. I abruptly abandoned the original plan and changed the direction in favor of a 4.2, and then further committed myself to a 65 liter board.

Although this was quite a hassle, the choices were ultimately perfect, at least this time around. When things are good, happiness is king and so attainable.

Still though, I could have continued on the original path with the 5.0 and the bigger board and paid the price. Sometimes we win, and other times we lose. Ah, the dilemmas of choice and circumstance.
nealpar

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company....a church....a team....a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, an that is our attitude....I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you....we are in charge of our ATTITUDES. "When you think there is nothing left, reach within and dig deeper", Believe in yourself"

Leo was not epic, but I thought it was epic.

Laughing

Stevenbard, you are clearly projecting. (that means that this lecture about attitude has come up in YOUR life in a big way...)

However, curious minds want to know:

What is ATTITUDE?

What is the definition of "RIGHT ATTITUDE" and "WRONG ATTITUDE".

Is there a universal standard that one should aspire to?

Who decides if one has attained the right attitude? Yes, who is the GREAT DECIDER?

Sorry, but I am not satisfied with dry regurgetation of elementary, self-help book derived, generalities, especially when they are offered by the patient ... Wink
theq

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't believe that anyone here will claim that attitude means nothing, it may come down similarly to our subjective ideas of what constitutes an "epic" session. Attitude can start at a young age when one is comfortable enough with their secure surroundings to explore possibilities and see that they are indeed attainable. Others who are born into bad familial and living situations have a much harder time "developing" an attitude, as they see the negatives in life as something akin to sbard's inevitables that one shouldn't fight. To some extent, succumbing to such inevitables, as being foregone conclusions, is the same action, but a different natural reaction. There are no definites in this life, at least that I've found. But having a good attitude can help convince, perhaps delude, yourself through dismal situations that would logically dictate either surrender or a futile fight. Mind you, these are only observed conditions Wink. Maybe a good attitude can be thought of as a mental form of apparent wind Question Not wind, per se, but something self-created that acts as wind, and can plane us through rough patches? Only a sailor would understand that one. By the way, all you big-toothed preachers, secular and non-secular, leave that simile alone! It's not for your unauthorized use.

That said, one has to wonder if ignorance is really bliss. And if it is, should we show a smiling ignoramus a greater amount of respect? While I may live through flashes of jealousy, while observing such bliss, I enjoy my curiosity, and life on the banks of the mainstream, that exposes me to things that may not be pleasant or positively self-propelling. This can, at least temporarily, result in what some may perceive as a bad attitude. I, like most of us, am a work in progess. I do not believe that attitude, is everything, nor do I believe it is nothing. It's just another manifestation of what we experience along the way, coupled with lessons learned from those we see as credible teachers. We learn as we go along. At least we should try, eh?
(edited for context/spelling error)

Last edited by theq on Fri May 23, 2008 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
theq

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
theq,

You know, I thought 5.0 and brought it all to the beach (not a short distance). After sticking the mast in the sail and getting ready for the extension, I realized that I was following the wrong path. I abruptly abandoned the original plan and changed the direction in favor of a 4.2, and then further committed myself to a 65 liter board.

Although this was quite a hassle, the choices were ultimately perfect, at least this time around. When things are good, happiness is king and so attainable.

Still though, I could have continued on the original path with the 5.0 and the bigger board and paid the price. Sometimes we win, and other times we lose. Ah, the dilemmas of choice and circumstance.

Wow, a 65L board! That must be a blast to be able to get out on that one.
No question about it, I'd have had a better time if I'd gone with my instincts instead of with the herd. To me the water "looked" like a 5.0M.
What's funny is that I kept looking over at MikeUzi, who originally put up a 5.5M sail, thinking that he was still on the 5.5M. However, I found out that he, being either smarter or less lazy than I, re-rigged to his 4.7M. While I was out, I figured that I must just be an old wimp, that everyone else was fine on similarly sized sails. Nope.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theq, you shouldn't be selling r.e. you should be on dr. phil.

Was anybody truely satisfied this week?
theq

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:

Who's dr. phil? Is he on one of the "reality" T.V. shows? I'm looking for work.

stevenbard wrote:

With what? Sailing?
Well, if we're talking about sailing, which I believe is the case, I'd have to say yes. But, I enjoyed myself much more on Monday than yesterday.
jp5

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:

Yeah, I was. Even though I got launched while reaching for my back strap and bruised my leg on my mast, crashed landed off of numerous swells and chop, spun out on waves going way to fast, missed other waves because of holes in the wind I had a blast. Windsurfing for me was the most difficult thing I have ever had to learn and I am totally stoked that I can enjoy the things I do now with it. I also know that the time I have left to enjoy this sport is not unlimited. Warren Miller says that your knees only get so many moguls and then that's it. I think the same applies to chop. Some day when I am forced to retire to a pond like Lake Lopez I will think back to some of the more memorable days at Leo and even then I will be greatful that I can still sail. My 86 year old father and his walker is a constant reminder of what waits for us all. Some sooner than others.

What Steven quoted was not psycho-babble but just a basic rule of happiness. It's your choice, you can choose to call it epic and be happy about it, or you can choose to say it sucked and be miserable.

I was as stoked watching Nealpar, Gregor, tHeQ and others shreding waves as I was being out there. Very Happy
theq

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:

I was as stoked watching Nealpar, Gregor, tHeQ and others shreding waves as I was being out there. Very Happy

That's why you're one of our favorite, and most credible, conservatives. Smile

BTW: I think I saw you take one of those "beaters", while riding a wave in. A puff hit you at a bad time. Trust me, I experienced one of those myself that day. What size sail did you ultimately rig? We'd been talking about the difficult choice that day's conditions presented, on the beach, as I was making the wrong one. I trust that you made a better choice on what to "hoist".
jp5

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q man -
I hoisted a 5.5 and it was bitchen.

When I got home I hoisted 4 glasses of cold crisp gallo chardonnay.

<JP>
tony

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:
Did anybody sail at Leo today

Sensor reports didn't quite motivate me to go. Stiff muscles and bruises might have been a factor too. Can anyone provide an on-site report? Including whether or not it was epic, of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: