myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bump and jump boards...100 L Favorites?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkyRocketnFlight

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Bump and jump boards...100 L Favorites? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm an solid intermediate windsurfer getting out in much higher winds, in straps, planing etc..Solid water starter, working on the jibe..u know the story.

I'm a big guy, 6'1"/220 lbs, so please keep that in mind, weight is a factor unlike kiteboarding. My smallest board is a Quatro Freemove 120 L.
I typically rig a 6.6 on it. When I get into 5.5 territory and it's really choppy/swells the board tends to be a bit large/wide and gets blown around, this wind is typically in the high 20's to low 30 gusts, I find in New England if it's windy it's choppy/swelly, not like Pamlico Sound flat in Hatteras.

I'm looking for a board that would be around 100L, probably single back footstrap, semi easy to plane, accentuating handling/bump/jump versus speed.

Has anyone demo'd boards like the Tabou 3s, Naish All Terrain, Real World boards etc..also looking at used models over the past 5 yrs too? From what I've heard, I'm looking for a freestyle wave type board...I see most boards are not clsassified as a 'bump and jump' board per se, mfr's seem to stay away from that classification in their literature.

Thanks,
Greg

PS Based on weight and wanting to get use, I don't think I want to go smaller than a 100-103 liter board. I feel 95 might be too small?
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been demoing out some 08 Mistral Syncros here on Long Island, and people have been loving them. The sizes you might be interested in are the 104 or 94. You might want to try the 104. You'll probably get more days on it than the 94.
iwillfindyou2112

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weigh 200lbs. I sail my 06 JP Freestyle Wave 102 w/ a 6.2 as my goto setup. This is THE BEST combination for 20-25 that I have ever been on. I use a 6.2 onshore wave sail with MFC freewave fins. My sailing is done mostly in the ocean or the Chesapeake bay. JP now has a FSW 101 which looks even sweeter. As nice as the new RRD FSW's are, and also the Tabou's, the JP's are just so much nicer. The FSW'a are fast and jump and turn great. What is nice is that they are wide enough to plane early, but narrow enough to hang in with wound up 6.0 (perfectly). When it gets in to lower 5's, start looking for an 85ish ltr wave/fsw board to really have some fun.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3S 97L Tabou fits the ticket, more wave/freemove than Freeride, but a Crossover by any defination.

Does most thing s well, some exceptional, wave/swell/B & J , it will become your new best friend.

My short list would include RRD FSW , JP FSW, Goya ONE/FSW, Quatro FSW, and at the top is the
Tabou 3S.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Juani222

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail in NE, mostly the Cape and Fogland in RI... I've been in your situation a few months ago, with the only difference being that my weight is 160lbs. I've been looking for my 100-115 L board for months!!! Finally I found a Goya FXR 105, sigle or double back strap... I took it to Chappin in 25-30 mph conditions, and I loved it from the first second. It jumps, surfs the swell and jibes easily. It comes with an MFC fin, as well as MFC straps.
You can rig up to 7 m (I put a 7.5 but it didn't work that well), the lowest sail is 5 m, in greater than 30 mph the board it bounces, so if it's blowing harder you may want to on a smaller board...

I hope this helps, and see you out there!!!

Juan
gerb

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about your size and ride a Mistral Syncro 104L. It is a two year old model but I've heard they haven't changed that much.
It is a pure fun board. Nice jibes, easy to jump and land in chop, and very responsive to planing early.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 195, 6 2 and love my 104 Synchro. I've heard great things about JP as well.

DC
speedysailor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing Mag reviewed this class of board in the April issue I believe.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a wide variety of stuff too. From DW slalom to pure rec. In the Cross venue stuff, the RRD tended to be the most rockered/ready for surf. The F Hawk lost its cross venue app.'s. The JP, *board, F2, and Exocet seemed to be the most race oriented. The Goya and Quatro were most waist harness and wave or free style.

My tastes are either Euro-wave, or full on race. There may be a cross venue model from time to time that I like, but typically they are full of compromises. The larger Euro-waves are a trifle dull in flat water though. Tough to draw any conclusions about that test, since there was stuff for every style...

Exocet has a Cross 106 that I've mentioned on another thread. It rocks. Replace the fin, and you've got a great schtick for bumps and grinds. Inboard straps for surfs and waist harness folk. Outboard for the go-fast bunch. Turns well, planes early, rides smooth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: