myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coyote point. Almost violent confrontation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afolander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: More Fish Stories... Reply with quote

izitwindy? wrote:
Two Fish stories to tell...

Last year, I was waterstarting upwind of the playpen and felt something on my leg, intially, I thought it was a reed but soon realized some yahoo was fishing off the beach and cast his line in the middle of traffic...the hook sank into the bottom of my bootie and he had his first windsurfer on his line...needless to say, it was my turn to do some yelling so that the guy would not start reeling me in! I had to remove the bootie to get the hook out and still had a small cut on my heel from the hook...

The guy that hooked you last year you might be the same fellow tangling with windsurfers last summer (see posts on 'Angry Fisherman at SI'):

-short Asian (Vietnamese) with perpetual scowl
- usually wears baggy sweats and backwards baseball cap
- sets up about 10 feet from the beach
- casts his lines way out with heavy weights
- often leaves when more than 2 sailers are there.

Have not seen him at Playpen since early Oct.

BTW - I was the only one out at SI at 6pm yesterday with good wind and swells. Guess everyone was tired out from Monday where the biggest sail I saw out at the sign was a 4.2 and many ramps were boom high.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: It happens all the time, Reply with quote

Too bad. Sorry to hear about your confrontation. Its nothing new. After eating too much fish from the bay, usually fried, fisherman are understandably irrate and edgy.
I cannot count the number of times I have had rocks thrown, insults hurled. The most intense was some dude on the pier upwind of the launch at the stick. This guy was seriously pissed. Fish not biting? Anyway stay away from such buzz-kill. If not there then Rio or HMB, especially the surfers at ft. point. Keep it positive!
When on the water, do what you want. If someone wants to approach you on the beach well, hopefully there are witnesses. Seriously focus on the sailing.
cherrywood182

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been hooked a couple of times. I used to get pissed and blame the fishermen for not pulling in their lines when they saw me coming. I realized they had every right to be as pissed as I was. Now I make a point of talking to the fishermen before I go out, asking what they are looking to catch and explaining what I am doing. This us-and-them attitude is ridiculous. Ass-holes exist, but I am sure the fishing community has no more of them than the windsurfing community.
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherrywood182 wrote:
I have been hooked a couple of times. I used to get pissed and blame the fishermen for not pulling in their lines when they saw me coming. I realized they had every right to be as pissed as I was. Now I make a point of talking to the fishermen before I go out, asking what they are looking to catch and explaining what I am doing. This us-and-them attitude is ridiculous. Ass-holes exist, but I am sure the fishing community has no more of them than the windsurfing community.

There are no Ass-holes in the windsurfing community. We are all nice, well behaved, ladies and gentlemen. Wink
hunwil1984

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe at your beach. Mad
andydavis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherrywood182 wrote:
...I realized they had every right to be as pissed as I was...

Legally no. Fisherman are responsible for any gear they put out that obstructs navigable waters
jimwilkins

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probibily 51/50, avoid him. Most are harmless, but they have had to let out alot of violent offenders because of overcrowded prisons and phyc hospitals.
I have had no issues with people trying to be punks in line-ups trying to make threats. You just dont back down to them, and make sure that you stand your ground.

This guy was not complaining about you dropping in on him or cutting off in a gybe, he is a badly disturbed man who needs understanding. Bet you in his mind one of the reasons he went down there aside to fish is to inerract with you guys, however violently or not.

Remember, If they act like a lunatic, they probibly are so try not to Indulge in it so much you guys.
jimwilkins

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not asume what wastes coast guard time, thats decided at that moment by the USCG. I encourage you all to feel free to radio them all you like. But fisherman issues should be handled by PD, thats who the USCG would call anyway.

Besides, I was the guy on the floating thing that was wasting their time, the mexican dude
jimwilkins

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CORRECTION: NOT "I WAS THE GUY ON THE RAFT", I MEAN IT WAS THE GUY ON THE RAFT WASTING THEIR TIME
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing you added that correction Jim. BTW, you can edit your own posts. I does it all the time. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: