myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Que?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-wo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Que? Reply with quote

What are you thinking Baja Vaya? Is it really necessary to discredit local sailing spots because they don't compare to PSC? Come on.

And for those of you that have never been to Punta San Carlos, don't bother. Yeah, those pictures may look pretty enticing, but what you can't tell is that the waves are only about a foot high and being sailed by gnomish types. Yup, it's all a con. You are much better off going to Lake Isabella. That's where the real windsurfing takes place. And...you get to drive through beautiful Bakersfield. Fantastic. I wish I could make it there myself this year but, sadly, I just won't be able to.

jp5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we detect a little sarcasm here?
D-wo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I was too harsh. It's been years since I sailed Lake Izzy, but it was fun at the time.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've only sailed Lake Isabella once a number of years ago, I more recently learned that they have levied a $20 per board fee (per year) to sail there. Given the fact that I running with a 6 board quiver, that's an awfully steep price, especially given a better than 3 hour drive just to get there. I think I'll stick with the ocean scene.
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sailed there a few times and have not been asked to show a board permit. In fact I've never seen a ranger even in the busy summer season with lots of jet-skis on the water.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information I got concerning Lake Isabella was at the following site:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=221&siteID=204&Isection=Local+Info

Because the information comes from the iWindsurf website, I elected to go to the Kern County department of park and recreation website to check current data. It mentioned a $30 board registration fee, but fails to indicate that it would be board specific.

The iWindsurf information indicates that rangers do enforce the rules, but of course, that doesn't mean that rangers can't elect to forego requirements. I guess the situation is somewhat on the murky side.

http://www.co.kern.ca.us/parks/isabella.asp

Last edited by swchandler on Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my comments appear to be knocking local spots, I apologize. My main point is that there are alternatives to the "local spots," if you can brave driving to MEXXXXICO.

For us SD sailors, it is a choice between driving north, or south. In the past my choice was south, you guys appear to confirm it to be the better choice. It is certainly the less expensive one (the gas and a long weekend in PSC are a fraction of a similar stay near Leo C.).

I have a more wordy response under the topic: S.Ca -- anyone sailing C-St/Leos
Also JaketheSnake has a posting for a demo by top sailors at PSC in April under the topic: General.
Q.E.D.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the "fee" on both web sites as well. I have never been down to Isabella but need to make the trip this spring to hook up with the Board Lady to have a couple of boards repaired. If I make that long of a trip I figured to do some sailing when I'm there. My question is "$20 per permit or per board"? $20 is steep for only two trips if you have to pay for more than one board.

Coachg
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
I noticed the "fee" on both web sites as well. I have never been down to Isabella but need to make the trip this spring to hook up with the Board Lady to have a couple of boards repaired. If I make that long of a trip I figured to do some sailing when I'm there. My question is "$20 per permit or per board"? $20 is steep for only two trips if you have to pay for more than one board.

Coachg

I'm not part of the regular izzy windsurfer crew, but I've been sailing there alot for the past 2-3 years. I have not bought a permit yet, haven't been hassled, and I don't think the lake patrol really enforces the rule........and it's not like they are going to drag you in to shore when your gear breaks down anyways............... However, most sailors have them on their boards, I've seen a couple on their helmets as well.

BTW, Isabella cranks all through spring and June, and all through summer (unless its too hot). Mostly flat water sailing, but I sailed far downwind at Tilly Creek on a 4.7 day, and there was huge Rio Vista type swell.

swchandler wrote:
While I've only sailed Lake Isabella once a number of years ago, I more recently learned that they have levied a $20 per board fee (per year) to sail there. Given the fact that I running with a 6 board quiver, that's an awfully steep price, especially given a better than 3 hour drive just to get there. I think I'll stick with the ocean scene.

If you're going there JUST to windsurf, it might be kinda lame, but you should take advantage of the Kern River a few minutes away..........world class kayaking, rafting, riverboarding, etc........... And in the mountains above izzy, you have skiing, hiking, mtn biking, dirtbiking, rock climbing, etc......

isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
While I've only sailed Lake Isabella once a number of years ago, I more recently learned that they have levied a $20 per board fee (per year) to sail there.

When the ranger at Lopez inventoried the boards and sails in my van and demanded I pay $78 just to enter the park to eat my sandwich on a calm weekday, I drove away hungry and haven't spent one cent in CA since. The CA parks director (or some such title) publicly lamented this kind of abuse many years ago, but the problem apparently isn't solved yet.

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: