myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wilmington, NC area sailing during N/NW winds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derelicte

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Wilmington, NC area sailing during N/NW winds Reply with quote

Since I'm still figuring this out, it's not hard to get blown out to sea. Are there any non-ocean launches in SE NC (Wilmington/CapeFear/Carolina Beach) where a N to NW wind isn't directly offshore?
Stix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Here's a launch if you haven't figured it out yet. Try the Basin just below Fort Fisher south of Wilmington. It's a protected area off the Cape Fear River, separated by a low brick and concrete walkway from the Civil War. There's a great bit of history in there somewhere, which I don't remember the specifics of. The Basin is open to the River in approximately a westerly orientation, so it gets SW and NW wind from across the River. Google Maps will prove me right or wrong on this for sure. I was there over Christmas/New Years, and sailed a SW.
For a retrospective laugh, my first salt water sailing was in the Sound at Wrightsville. In the early 80's you could actually rent equipment at one of the sailing centers along the Sound Road.
Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: