myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SW wind wave sailing options...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jordanwd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: SW wind wave sailing options... Reply with quote

looks like SW wind w/ big surf this weekend...SW winds look like side on shore conditions...
would Wadell or DPort work or are there better locations? Any other considerations to keep in mind (ie shore pound/tides/ Safety) with 15-20 foot onshore conditions?
rstroud

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply to Jordanwd, The harbor at Princeton, at the North end of half moon bay is very nice in the SW conditions, - also sheltered from the mamoth swells.. Enjoy the weekend sailing!
all the best!
jse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altho I've never done it, I hear Doran Beach near Bodega Bay is great for surf sailing on a SW.

Steve
jordanwd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

Rstroud...it looks like Princton harbour looks nicely protected from the west swell...does some waves make it through though or is it mostly flat water sailing?

jse, do you know how Doran beach sets up on a SW day?
On shore waves don't realy bother me so much if its managable...I just don't want bone crunching, mast snapping shore break or take a chance of getting washed into cliff bases / rocks with the onshore winds, especially w/ an incoming tide...
jse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doran is accessible from the road by driving all the way to the end of the park and launching inside the protective jetty. Sail out on starboard into the swell. It's a gently curving beach and you launch from the upper corner. So to get to the waves you need to go downwind. The beach is mostly sandy.

doran.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.31 KB
 Viewed:  16059 Time(s)

doran.jpg

jse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No waves ever make it into HMB harbor, the jetty's make that impossible. Inside the harbor is flat water. Notice how it sets up in the satellite image. Look inside the harbor, there is a pier. That's where most people launch. I've sailed upwind and out into the swell from there. Notice once out, you are still upwind of the jetty. Most people surf in the apex of the triangle formed by the jetty and the beach. I think you would get trapped if you tried to sail there. If it's high tide, the waves break on the rocks, leaving no place to pull out. Also, the surfers complain that there is a reflection in that situation. I suppose you could sail way over to the right and look for waves there. Also, notice to the left is Sail Rock. Just to the left of Sail Rock is Mavericks. Unless i'm mistaken, you don't want to end up there unless you want to be the first to windsurf Mav's.

Steve

HMB.jpg
 Description:
Half Moon Bay
 Filesize:  99.63 KB
 Viewed:  16076 Time(s)

HMB.jpg

shitan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocean Beach is not bad on S direction. It could be side off if the wind direction SE, witch is very common in pre-storm wind. It will turn to side on on SW. If you ever gone to ocean beach you would notice the loooong sandy beach w/no rock or cliffs. On a good S wind you may see 4 or 5 die hard sailors down at Rivera St.
jordanwd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are awesome pics & great info jse, Thanks!

I've heard the location Ocean beach brought up before but not sure where it is exactly shitan, up towards sf bay inlet somewhere?
shitan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocean Beach is located @ the west side of SF. If you're good at google maps just go "Great america Hwy san francisco, CA" and get Direction from wherever you are to that destination. Once on Great america Hwy look for Rivera St( as a cross ST) witch is about 10 blocs south of Lincoln Way (a street that you shouldn't miss).

It looks like tomorrow is the day and Friday is just too wet.

s.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just follow Geary St. until you hit the ocean.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: