myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Refurbishing an old board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windspike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Refurbishing an old board Reply with quote

I bought an old (1996) Sailboards Maui 72L wave board from a friend. It's in great shape, but I would like to peel off the old paint and re-deck it.

Does any one have advice about doing this or should I go with a professional? If the latter, does any one know a good person in the SF Bay Area to do this job?
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look to the Board Lady for knowledge.

www.boardlady.com
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the "friend" is more accurately an "acquaintance" or if he hasn't really used the board much, do yourself a favor before going to all that trouble: check for leaks. I do this by cooling the board for hours (e.g., shade, basement, outdoors overnight, etc.), then quickly putting it in direct warm sunshine and throwing soapy water over it and looking closely for bubbles.

Why do I suggest this? Because I once unwrapped a new mid-90s Sailboards Maui wave board, sailed it for a few minutes, came ashore, and saw water spout out of scores of holes along its entire perimeter.

It sailed very well, so if yours is intact, enjoy!

\m/
wooot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do need supplies after you decided what your gonna do, I suggest contacting Fiberglass Supply in Bingen WA, and talking to them.
You can just Google "fiberglass supply bingen" and it will come up
They've got more stuff than you can possibly imagine for pretty much anything to do with epoxy, polyester, glass/carbon stuff, of surfboard blanks etc.
westender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 96?? They still made those things in 96?? I had a 86 and haven't seen one since?? But, It's not like I've been paying any attention. Sorry for the non informative post. A typical forum poster (me) when the season is over. Happy up coming holidays. Enjoy!
windspike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the tips folks Reply with quote

I'll work on the board lady's web location and perhaps even contact her for the gig.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: