myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kailua Sailboards?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Kailua Sailboards? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Going to Oahu with the family this week. Any suggestions on a place to rent windsurfing gear. Saw a place online called "Kailua Beach" they rent everything from windsurfers to kayaks. Everything seems to be there. Snorkeling and bodyboarding for the kids and wife.

She thought since we were not going to Maui this time it was going to be a non-windsurfing vacation. Thats what SHE thought. Ha ha ha ha

Anyone have an experience there?

Thanks,

Bill

IMG_1254.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  247.59 KB
 Viewed:  15856 Time(s)

IMG_1254.jpg

csorens

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Kaulua Sailboards & Kayaks Reply with quote

If you mean Kailua Sailboards, I've been there twice and it's the best place to go on Oahu in my opinion. The beach itself is great and they have a Windsurfing trailer that they roll out to the beach park on most days with different boards/sails so you can actually change out a sail or board without having to walk back to the shop. They have a deal where if you are staying in Waikiki they'll pick you up and take you there and provide a lunch for around $85 or so. I did that once, but if you have a rental car that's the way to go. You can park right at Kailua Beach park and use it as your base. I think it was around $60 or so for the whole day, and It's a great park. The shop is only a block or so from the beach and there's a great little store/deli right there where you can get lunch, coffee, etc. so everything is convenient. They say Kailua is one of the prettiest beaches in the world and I find it hard to argue with them. I've never been to Maui, but I found Kailua to be a great Windsurfing beach with easy access. It may not be as epic as Maui, but paradise nonetheless. There were alot of kiters there, too. The equipment they had at Kailua was allright, too. I rented a Mistral Syncro 105 and a decent sail. In short, if there's any wind you'll have a great time and even if there isn't it's so beautiful you can just hang out there!
hwskailua

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kailua has light winds and lots of kites. You may want to pick up some gear and drive to diamond head or Mokuleia for more wind and small waves. I would check out www.hawaiianwatersports.com for better gear, better service and better prices.
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where was that picture taken?
sharkasm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by sharkasm on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
csorens

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: HSW Post Reply with quote

Actually, I agree that the wind at Kailua is probably lighter than at some of the other spots on the island, but particularly if you don't have a way to lug the stuff around and walk it out to the spot it's worth going to Kailua for the convenience. Also you said that others in your family want to do things like Kayaking and Snorkeling, so Kailua Sailboards offers stuff for that, too. I haven't tried Hawaiian Water Sports, but that post doesn't sound totally unbiased! I think they had a truck of some sort out at the Beach Park when I was there, too so maybe they have a similar service. I think the store is farther from the beach, though so not within easy walking range. So far as equipment I don't know who would have better stuff. The service at Kailua Sailboards seemed fine, though.
csorens

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS I'm guessing that's Angel Island in the background...
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kailua Sailboards, Hawaiian Water Sports and Naish rent right at the beach. I have rented from all three and would have to say that Naish has the best/newest gear.

Coachg
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips,

I will get feedback to you all as soon as I return if not sooner. Your comments have left me with a favorable impression.

Per iwindsurf the wind has been in the 20+ range all week. If I can make it on the water with even up to a 120lt board and 6.0 sail I will be stoked. Sounds like the place for the family and me to get a much needed break.
The prices sound reasonable too. I was in Corpus Christi and the rental stuff there was about the same price. So its not that outrageous.

The picture was taken last Weds at Crissy around 3-4pm at the St. Francis Yacht Club. A great place to sail on an ebb. Zero crowds rig 5 feet from the water.
laci

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kailua is where modern windsurfing was perfected. Footstraps, harnesses, short boards and Robbie Naish were all developed there. Naish has the best equipment there currently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: