myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Scary times in Baja
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EddyBreffitt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Scary times in Baja Reply with quote

Tavelers to Baja via Tijuana need to be aware of recent problems with the police in TJ, and Navy in Ensenada. check out the "Scary Story" entry and the "San Quintin; Navy Detention" story.

(PLEASE REPOST LINK the one you posted is just an advertising link)
jse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site (bajanomads) is totally bogus. It's basically a front for a search portal that does nothing but pop up a bunch of annoying adds. Perhaps you can provide either a direct link to the story or repost it here?

Steve
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eddy,

I think that the links in your post kind of vaporized, as I remember some details of your initial post. Probably not your fault, but realities kind of flipped a bit from what I can discern.
EddyBreffitt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let's try this again. Here are the links
http://surfermag.com/features/onlineexclusives/carjackedmexicobaja/
http://www.bajanomad.com/
On the bajanomad site, click on Forums, then click on Baja News, then click on the pertinent story.
An article also appeared by Anne Cearley at the Union-Tribune.
pshaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Union-Tribune story can be found at:
http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/news/mexico/tijuana/20070913-9999-7m13surfers.html

You can be carjacked in the US, but the scary part is that these guys were either cops or posing as cops. I think I will avoid Baja for a few years.
D-wo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The surfer mag story has now run on three posts. I'm not saying that Mexico is perfectly safe, but let's keep things in perspective. Nothing is completely safe. If you don't want to go, don't. Otherwise, travel safe and be vigilant, not scared. I read the forum on the boating incident and it sounds as if the real issue might be over the boat's documentation. You may want to think twice before jumping on some American's charter near San Quentin.

I have no affinity for Rosarito and Ensenada, but in the rural parts of Baja I've had great experiences and have met many kind and generous individuals.[/i]

swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eddy,

A bit too scary of a scene for me, but I decided about 10 years ago that Baja was off the list, at least driving down in my own vehicle. I'm not sure if you're going to rethink about going down there, but surely food for thought.

With the situation further down in Quatros Casas, one must question whether simply crossing the border during daylight hours is sufficient to mitigate the risks. Of course, situations like what happened at QC have occurred over the years, so maybe not so notable. However, the scene in TJ appears in a whole different league.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I base many of my decisions on calculated risks -- the product of an outcome's likelihood times its impact (it quantifiable cost or benefit). If the likelihood of a hijacking is only .0001 but the cost of being hijacked is essentially infinite (that's my subjective evaluation of this alleged incident's cost), the risk is still beyond my tolerance level. So the real question is "How true is this story?" and, as Schwandler asks, "Does the likelihood drop to zero in daylight?".

At the very least, this story goes in the "con" side of my Baja Pros/Cons list.

\m/
mikecole

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie,

Are you going to cancel a PSC trip based upon this story? I hope not. Heck we both drive through LA a fair amount. I'd be more fearful of breaking down in Compton or Watts than I would be of driving through TJ during daylight hours. Guess we hear about car-jackings and shootings in LA more than we do in TJ. As Isobars points out, don't make your decision based upon one peice of anicdotal data... Look at the full statisticaly signifigent sample set, then make your decision. Now that I thionk about it, the J on a big day is way more terrifying that driving through TJ... Smile

Take care. Mike
Epenrose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is terrible.

I think that absolutely nobody should go to Baja period. It is way to dangerous and scary, frightening.

Warning - avoid all good breaks, especially good clean rights - you are guaranteed to be turned into a minced human taco when the south swell is pumping.

There is strong evidence that banditos are hiding everywhere, every bush, vados and taco stand looking for kiters. The banditos use the code word aggressivo danglalo bella poofto.

Stay in the US of A, don't leave please.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: