myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SF Bay area fall winter sailing?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
otgmail

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: SF Bay area fall winter sailing? Reply with quote

Hi,

New here to the Bay area but I love the windsurfing over here. My number of sessions just doubled and that was with my back injured for the first half of the season.

So where do we sail around here in the Fall and Winter? What kind of wet suit is recommended. I currently have a 5.2 and 7.0, and can maybe buy a 3rd sail to extend the winter sailing. Any recommendations?
jse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Fall can be sketchy what with shorter days and no storms. But you can find wind once in a while at central bay sites, like Crissy, Treasure Island and sometimes Berkeley.

Then around in December, start looking for storms. The kind you want are what are known around here as "Pineapple Express" storms. They roll in from the South Pacific and pack lots of wind and rain. Depending on the timing, you can get some great sailing on these. They produce good sailing at the south wind launches, like Alameda, Berkeley, Half Moon Bay Harbor and sometimes even Larkspur. You'll probably want a smaller sail for these, they can be 4.5 to 5.5 conditions. Don't worry about a wetsuit for winter, I use the same one I use in the summer, and because the storms are warm storms, I'm fine. Don't stop because of the rain either, wet is wet. You can ride these storms all through the rainy season, into March, even April.

Along about February, start looking for Northwesterlies to come in. They are rare in February, but you can get a few good days on them. March and April are when they really kick in, and you made it through yet another winter.

I've sailed every month of the year for the past three years.

Steve
jjstien

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 4/5 steamer will do nicely, augment with booties or neoprene headgear. You can do more but I won't sail in less than the sum of water and air temp 100

Storm winds are typically southerly and gusty, 15-40. Occasional northwesterlys usually less gusty but that's just an opinion. Light (short days)becomes an issue that complicates things especially December and Jan.

TI seems to have wind when other places don't.... although the main launch is currently closed. Of course you could launch in berkely and sail up...
tomg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with all said but, sadly, those Pinapple whatevers don't seem to come every year. And those kickass northerlies that seem to come Feb and March? Very very VERY cold, and sometimes gusty. But hey, unless you are one of those fortunates that treks south to Mexico or beyond, by March you'll be happy for anything!

Tom G
shitan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the time i put to sail in winter I hardly get 25 sailable days from Nov to Feb some of them are nice strong and warm the others are still strong but veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery cold(less than 50degrees). The north westerly is cold , the north easterly is sunny, the southeast/west or just south could be wet but warmer(53-60degrees). If it drops below 50 don't bother going out unless it's nuking and duwanna miss. At those temperatures you may get numb from your head to your toes.
Best spots for winter/fall sailing:

Berkeley: all wind directions are ok just use Ashby beach for the N,NE,NW
Alameda: Sandy beach S, SE, SW sometimes just dies quickly there
Half moon bay: good for pre-storm wind S, SSE, SSW
Windy cove: all the strech from the metallic brige to Rio Vista on hi-way 160 is good on N, NNE, NNW
Oyster Point: S, SE, SW
All peninsula on NWerly
Ocean Beach: SE, this direction is side shore, very rare for OB but best sailing direction, port ramps( I never had a good day there, LOL).

Wetsuit, it depends usually the same as any time in the regular season: 5/3, 4/3 but sometimes a drysuit is not enough with all the head,foot, and handwear.

Don't go to the snow, save your money so you can buy a 4.0and 4.5 because you gonna need them.

Although the winter season is not as long or fun to freeze in, the fact that you know some gale force storm is on the way to hit the bay area at 35kts will get ya to call in sick, The exitement before the session is higher than the session itself.

Stay warm.
otgmail

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I came here from BC and over there I used to sail in the winter with my 5/3mm wetsuit, so I think I should be OK with the cold. Funny enough, I hate the snow!!.

Thank you for all the tips. It looks like driving up to Alemeda and Berkeley might be the best bet since they are close to each other and if one is not going then the other might. How is the launch in Half Moon Bay harbour?

I wonder if I should invest in a 8.0 or a 4.5 to get the best of the winter?
carl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

otgmail wrote:
Hi all,

How is the launch in Half Moon Bay harbour?

I wonder if I should invest in a 8.0 or a 4.5 to get the best of the winter?

HMB (aka Princeton Harbor) is a sandy beach launch at the end of
Princeton Ave (next to the old fishing pier). It works on SE or South
pre-frontal storm wind (sometimes better than the bay launches because the fetch is straight off the ocean). HMB also can work with big stuff in NW wind in winter.

I would suggest buying both sails, 4.0 or 4.2 and a big 8.5 - 9.0.
Get the small one used to save money, since it will only see occasional use.
mstokowski

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: winter sailing Reply with quote

Here's your plan:

* Go surfing (unreal in the winter) or skiing or mountain biking or,

* If desperate to sail:
- Get a skateboard rig and find a parking lot to sail the early morning off-shore winds in October. (better yet, go surfing)
- Keep your eye on the news around Thanksgiving there is often a sick NE (~30-50knots). Plan to go to around windy cove near Rio Vista (you'll need a 4.0 (or smaller)
- As mentioned in the other posts, HMB pre-frontal can be good, as can Alameda, Berkeley. All can be 4.5 or much better in these systems.
- NW clearing winds in the late Winter and Spring are also great on the coast, sometimes bay.
- Early morning NE winds at Rod and Gun or Berkeley Ashby beach. Can be very cold.

NW and NE winds versions can be extremely cold, and sunny (sweat on the beach, freeze in the water). North Coast, Tomales, Peninsula and Alameda are best bets for the spring NW. One trick with Alameda. Look for an early-morning ridiculous NW blow in Bodega, Tomales and Peninsula. Alameda comes up around noon with bonus groundswell from across the bay.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pack it in. Get a pair of Volkl Mantra's and hit Squaw until your legs fall off , then in March it will start up again, grab your 4.0 and head to Tomales.
Boggsy
jse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Pack it in. Get a pair of Volkl Mantra's and hit Squaw until your legs fall off , then in March it will start up again, grab your 4.0 and head to Tomales.
Boggsy

Volkl Mantra's and Squaw til your legs fall off. That oughta set him back about 3 grand. I say save your money, buy a 4.5 and enjoy the (free) wind that comes with the storms. Do something nice with the $2500 you saved.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: