myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What's SUP???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caribchakita

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: What's SUP??? Reply with quote

As in Stand Up Paddle Board..yehhha..I have one on order for Cape Cod and one coming for Bonaire. I went with the 12'6 Sportech from Starboard. Who else is on a SUP??

Ann Phelan
www.bonairecaribbean.com
dennisrodger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Just Got one Reply with quote

I just got a 12 foot, 28 inch wide board and I'm having a blast. Doesn't look like much from a distance but it's even fun on flat water and a great workout. Eventually I'll kook out in some waves but at this point it's a nice alternative for calm days or riding small waves (cause I'm not much of a surfer).

It's kinda the opposite of the windsurfing stoke on flat water in that the joy is really the peacefulness and challenge of keeping an uninterrupted flow and paddle stroke. The more I do it the more I realize how critical technique and focus is.

Try it......you'll like it.. Very Happy

Dennis
Caribchakita

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: SUP Reply with quote

I hope it fits on my car..haa..12'6..egads...I heard it's harder than it looks..where do you SUP??
dennisrodger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: SUP Reply with quote

Yeah, they're massive boards, I put mine on top of my X-Terra and that works OK but the board is huge. Fortunately they're pretty light too. I've been going in a little bay in So Cal where it's usually pretty flat so I can get the strokes down before venturing into the surf. I've done a lot of research online about surfing them so I'm gonna take that plunge soon.

I think one of the key things I found is to have the proper length paddle. I started off with a standard size one that you are supposed to cut down to the right length for you. Since it was over $300 bucks I wanted to be sure and get it right so I used it full length at first for a while. I found at least half of my falls were the result of jacking around with the too long paddle.

I think your windsurfing background will go a long way toward shortening the learning curve. From what I've seen and heard, I think it's easier for windsurfers to get it than surfers cause we're used to standing and balancing on a board all the time; rather than just when we catch a wave. The best thing so far is that, at least in my case, I'm just now starting to see how much skill makes a difference. I figured I kinda had it down once I stopped falling and could stay on but then I began to experiment with a smoother stroke and more consistent movement and the difference was amazing. It's funny, the more you muscle it on each stroke, the more you sink the board and the less progress you make. The more you finesse it, keep your weight centered and make smooth strokes, the more the board glides. So what may seem like a quickly mastered activity, actually has a lot of subtleties you don't really notice at first.
Caribchakita

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis..cannot wait to try it..got one for Cape Cod on order and one for Bonaire..thanks Starboard...

Come try it in Bonaire sometime!! I will do demos all winter once I get it figured out.

Ann Phelan
www.bonairecaribbean.com
Brian_S

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Ann and Dennis,

We've been talking about getting SUP's for the no wind days, primarily as core workout and just getting wet. Will probably order one on the off season. I think we're gonna get a van though - this windsurfing SUP gear is starting to take up space.

Dennis: we're going to bonaire Feb 22 - Mar 2 in case you're interested.

Brian
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't an old longboard serve the same purpose for one tenth the cost (or free)?
And why stand up? We just sat on our longboards and used a kayak paddle.
I.e., is this just clever marketing, or is it really something different?

\m/
dennisrodger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question Isobars. I don't have much surfing background but compared to windsurf boards I find the thickness of the SUP boards to be the real difference. My physical memory has made me certain several times that the board was gonna dump me off the side but the thickness appears to keep the board upright when most any WS board would probably have dumped me off.

Regarding surfing longboards, dunno about that, but the longboards I have tried surfing were nowhere near the 4.5 inch thickness that provides so much flotation and a solid paddling platform.

That said, as the sport catches on I'm seeing folks paddling everything. Last week before the wind came up I saw a guy paddling a StarBoard GO board around and another on what appeared to be an old longboard. Guess ya just have to try em out and see.
spyder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Wouldn't an old longboard serve the same purpose for one tenth the cost (or free)?
And why stand up? We just sat on our longboards and used a kayak paddle.
I.e., is this just clever marketing, or is it really something different?

\m/

of course it's clever marketing ! to convince people to buy an even larger chunk of styrofoam to somehow strap on their car is surely sales magic.

we just got in our 11'6" SUP monsters and people are going nuts over them. a store opened up here on oahu, just for Stand UP Paddle surfing !

Imagining putting a 11'6" SUP on my XB. it would be quite the ridiculous looking vehicle. I see people floating around out there, paddling away, it doesnt look that fun to me, but then again, who am I ?

so yeah for reasons unknown to me, the SUP is the latest rage. apparently it's fun, it's a sport, and lots of people are making, buying, and riding them.
JoeT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been traditional shortboard-surfing for 15+ years and am a little concerned what the 'lineup' is going to think of me and my SUP board cruising around faster than any longboarder can paddle and stealing all the choice set waves.... probably none too pleased. oh well. just like a longboarder... but more annoying. not as bad as a windsurfer in the lineup though, heh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: