myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Yeehaw!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Yeehaw! Reply with quote

This from the forecast tonite:

Quote:
All the models had this pattern setting up Thursday night but as you noticed in my mid day update the marine surge arrived early and reached epic proportions.

(snip)

Pattern continues at least through Saturday but may make it until Tuesday.

C'mon Tuesday!

I had totally written off today, but saw the surge and made it as far as Larkspur. I was hammered on a 5.0 for 3 hours. If this lasts until Tuesday, to borrow a phrase from professional baseball, I will need to skip a start.

I would love to hear from my Berkeley brethren, or even anyone who made it out to TI, what the conditions were like there. I was surely tempted, but as they say, never leave wind for more wind.

Steve
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berkeley was Berzerkeley today. Sailed early on around 1pm when the sensor was reading in the mid to high 20's... didn't look that great, so I rigged 5.4 and 99l, but then on the water reports started coming in, saying that it was actually really windy, so I went out on 90 and 4.7. Unfortunately, I was pretty underpowered, and the water was super choppy. Pretty much a crappy session, and just to cap it off, we all had to swim in when the wind seemed to turn NW and shut off on the inside. So, we had to resort to drinking beer.

A couple hours later, the wind seemed to make a comeback, and I went back out on the same gear, although this time I was pretty damn powered. I could have been on a smaller board and sail easy, but 4.7 and 90l was still fun. The water seemed to have calmed down quite a bit too, and there was some really nice swell. Wind stayed solid all the way until and past dark. In fact, Wyatt and his dad and one other sailor came back in the dark... about an hour after sunset... probably around 8:45 or so. Really nice second session after a crappy beginning session. Redemption was sweet.
windfind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to check out the extended forecast since there is a radical change from last night for Saturday-Monday. Today, Friday, the marine surge will start start out epic but slowly weaken during the day. Then, if all available data is correct, all the factors making this wind abruptly depart from the scene overnight. So there is a very good chance the marine surge ends tonight.

This time of year all the parts of the weather machine become even less predictable than normal as the season transitions. So take the fall forecasts with a larger than normal dose to salt water.

Mike Godsey
mike@iwindsurf.com
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Channel at Larkspur was Gorge -Like, solid 3.5-4.0 with mini rollers, no wonder everybody was staying inside.

Boggsie
andydavis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: something seriously the matter with the Earth's climate Reply with quote

I guess I was totally faked out yesterday -- great sensor readings, starting around 2:00 pm I started flipping between the Berkeley Cam and the Exploratorium Cam...it looked like pure shit. Finally, I couldn't stand it and rode home (on my bike) through Marina Bay and the bike bath. PI was ~15 at that time and Angel Island ~30 -- there should have been major whitecaps out there...instead nothing, maybe 5 knots. A little more at the Bulb -- one lone kiter, but it looked like nothing...so I went home to work on my deck Sad
insh8bl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the gym to lift for three hours based on yesterday’s dismal forecast. Imagine my surprise to come home, turn on the computer, and WOW averaging 27 at TI and gusts to 39 at Angel. OOPS! When I got to Crissy guys were rigging down to 4.5. Went out on 4.6, 80L wave board, and I am 180lbs. Light on the inside but lit, and I do mean lit, between the north tower and yellow bluff, with clean rollers, could have been on 4.2 for the first hour and a half.

I use a sail smaller than 5.0 at Crissy a handful of times a year. And find it EXCEPTIONLY unlikely that I will sail lit 4.6 every day until Tuesday.

Brian
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Bezerkeley was off the chart on Thursday. I went there and watched people come in "complaining" of being overpowered one second and in a huge lull the next. So I went with a 4.7/84l combo and rigged up. Well THEN it backed off (before I got in the water). So a bunch of us did the dance on the shore watching the wind for over an hour as it went up and down (while looking at TI in the 30 mph range!). Finally it felt solid so we went out. Well I was grossly overpowered on my rig. I figure a 3.7 or 4.2 with my 75l board would have been about perfect (I weigh in the 175 range!). After hanging on for a while I came in before getting hurt Smile

Everybody I talked to the next day was still talking about it....

Oh yeah, a warning. Be careful rigging in the parking lot. One guy was rigging up on a grass island between some cars and a gust came through the parking lot (at HS Lordships) and flipped his sail up in the air and slammed it onto the hood of somebody's car (causing a nice dent). So I'm sure that was not a "cheap" session for him.....

That was one very wild session.
jse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, on Wednesday, (not thursday) there was some nasty sewage bubbling up through the manhole cover by Lordships and pooling around the parking lot. Gross.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: