myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tell us this weekend's Cape stories
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: My Apologies Reply with quote

Wasn't trying to steal your thunder. Just thought the message in your cartoon expressed the WS communities obsession with slamming Bruce, better than words could.

And i just noticed the copyright logo in the cartoon. Again my apologies for infringement.

Funny system we have here. On the one hand, Freedom of speech allows anyone in the pubic domain to be the subject of commentary, no matter what the opinion. And then that commentary can be protected by copyright law as personal property.

But then there is the internet where it seems anything is allowed to be published. So i guess your lawyers can sue me for infringement and then Bruce's lawyers can sue you for slander.

And then comes the cosmic question: What's the difference between a link to the image and just showing the image with the link as the source for identification and credit. BTW, is Spider Web protected? Can't seem to find any copyright logos.

PS You will notice that mypost of the cartoon has been deleted.

all the best, Clyde
mogunn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: My Apologies Reply with quote

cagjr21150 wrote:
...And i just noticed the copyright logo in the cartoon. Again my apologies for infringement.

Hi Clyde, there's a © on all my toons and Spyder's too. Even without they're still protected.

cagjr21150 wrote:
And then comes the cosmic question: What's the difference between a link to the image and just showing the image with the link as the source for identification and credit.

My objection is that you took the image and "hosted" it on your Photobucket account where it was out of context and there was no reference to its original source giving the impression that it's your work.
Are all the photos on your site "hosted" with the permission of the photographers?

cagjr21150 wrote:
PS You will notice that mypost of the cartoon has been deleted. all the best, Clyde

Thanks for also removing the toon from your site.
BTW, I don't mind when it's referenced from my site.

No harm, no foul! (except for you-know-who) Very Happy

cagjr21150

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always wondered when a photographer takes a photo, does he have to get permission and consent to publish?

And then it follows, if a cartoonist creates a character from a real person does he also have to get permission and consent to publish?

I'm sure somehwere in here the courts have parsed out the limits and responsiblities. Rolling Eyes

So, if i want to share a cartoon that is on the Coyote site, i can only link the image and not use the actual cartoon itself? And of course to use the image itself on any forum you must host it somewhere. How should it be identified at the host site? Or did i misunderstand what you said and i can't host the image?

My photbucket account is used for the sole purpose of reporting events on forums: my experiment in raising community awareness of WS events. And no, i don't have anybody's permission to host. Should i hire a lawyer?

Since you seem so well informed, do i need written permission or can i just indentify the source? And what actually is required to indentify the source? A link? Name?

thanks Shocked
mogunn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clyde,
I recommend that you do a little research to find the answers to your many questions about copyright and intellectual property. I'll only address your questions about my photos and cartoons.

cagjr21150 wrote:
...So, if i want to share a cartoon that is on the Coyote site, i can only link the image and not use the actual cartoon itself? And of course to use the image itself on any forum you must host it somewhere. How should it be identified at the host site? Or did i misunderstand what you said and i can't host the image?

The cartoons are my property and they reside on my server which hosts my site. If you want to share a cartoon you can link to it directly from my site. If you copy the image without permission and put it on your site or photobucket account it's stealing.

A simple analogy might make it clear. If I put my board on the beach and you take it without my permission to use and share with your friends it's called stealing. If you take it and put it in your van it's called stealing. Whereas, if I give you permission to use my board it's called sharing. The board will however, remain stored in my van.

See? Wink

mikej1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sat. morning at egg island was incredible. Flat water an blowin like stink. A group of us from ABK went over and were joined by Davideg and his crew. With the conditions and the intense freestyle going on it did remind me of Bonaire. I had a 4.7 and was overpowered and Andy Brandt was on a 109 freestyle with a tiny fin and a 4.2. and he's 6'2' and definately a professional.
Laughing
mrlowball

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: WindBLOB Reply with quote

You must be one fat dude to hold down that rig.....or maybe too lazy to downrig. Over in Osterville ( where I often sail for personal enjoyment...who cares about pros and what they sail on! ) I walked to the beach at 3:30 and had my 4.8 yanked from my hands, sending it 40 feet in the air and cartwheeling down the beach. I returned 15 minutes later with 4.2 and an 85 litre board for one of the best yanks this 195 lber has had all season.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Non-sense and I-windsurf Reply with quote

Obvious, most posters on this website want to sit behind a computer and think that although they are rather incompetent desk jockey's, they are expert windsurfers. In fact, they know very little about being both IMHO. Sailing what you people consider over-powered takes strength as well as weight. It also takes skill and experience. On top of that I think most of you aren't using new model sails but 4 or 5 year or older ones. It gets rather tiring being bothered at the beach by windsurfers who are always trying to start conversations by bring either the sail size they have been using or that which I am rigging or using. Now, Saturday on the Cape, I sailed after a guy I recognized approached me when he left the water. He went into a log monologue about his small sail sizes which he used all day. He kept trying to read the number on my sail. I had chosen an 8.4 with the idea that I could rig down if it was too much for the situation. He tried to put the fear of god in me with his matter-of-fact but highly subjective statements. A situation I'm starting to get used to and not letting rattle me. Once on the water, I realized that I was at the upper limit of the range of the 8.4 for ME, not for him, not for Kevin Pritchard and certainly not for YOU. Since I was a bit hung-over from Friday night and I saw some rather dangerous accident potential in crowded waters, I decided that I wanted more control. I also decided that I wanted to try out a brand new sail, a 6.9, and this was a good opportunity for that. If I wanted to stay up wind of the kiters, I would have retained the 8.4. Unfortunately, though, the kiters were crowding the upwind waters, and that was threatening disaster considering how many of them were inexperienced and crashing their kites. However, I put in a couple of good reaches in the straps and upwind without being tossed or catapulted by the strong gusts around 2 p.m. Once I rigged the 6.9, though, I felt underpowered. I don't think this was due to the winds abating, either. Eventually, they did abate some and made it even harder for me to put the board up on a plane. Now, I could have used a bigger board that day, but I wanted to use something smaller. I failed to make a gybe.
bigairhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Mrlowball - Speedysailor = Brucie = Disease Reply with quote

Brucie it doesn't matter what you call yourself at any particular time -mrlowball - speedysailor -whatever. You are a real piece of work , everyone who has sailed for years will at times state what size sail they were sailing on . If you are intelligent enough or experienced enough a sailor you will take into account the different variables and how that sail size translates to your needs or the conditions.

Now why don't you go back over to KPs' web blog and infect it with more little nuggets such as---

robert bruce said...
Kev,

if you take some pics make sure you include some of the pretty little Brazilian boys.
I love little Brazilian boys.

September 10, 2007 3:03 AM

Dude you are a disease.
ce3141592654

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: lessons Reply with quote

Do you give windsurfing lessons windbob?
rationalnational

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoohoo Robert you couldn't help yourself cud ja ?

Have you registered or have they just not caught you yet ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: