myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Health Warning in Delta
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afolander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think if this was a 'toxic' algae variety that the health department would need to take a sample and either measure toxic compounds or confirm under a microscope that it is one of several specific species known to produce toxins prior to putting signs up.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's always something wherever you go. I've been sailing Sherman Island for the past six years, almost exclusively, and have had zero problems. And I find the warm water, steady winds and laid back atmosphere too nice to pass up. Gotta go. It's blowing 24mph. Very Happy
fearlu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen brutha'...
SICK day today, eh?
ERROR!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Delta Dawn Reply with quote

About two weeks ago, I had flu-like symptoms a couple of times and I wondered what was causing it. Now I suspect the Delta water. I decided to take a break (or sail Berkeley). Hopefully, the recent cool weather has solved the problem. I'm ready to visit Sherman Island again. Will there be any new testing to check on whether the situation is better now?
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fearlu wrote:
Amen brutha'...
SICK day today, eh?

Sadly enough, I tweaked my back on Tuesday, doin' absolutely nothing! Had to sit yesterday out, with a brand new 4.8 just waiting to be rigged. Hard to complain too much (of course I will anyway) because I got to use my new 4.3 twice the last week of August. Best season in a long time.
afolander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a creek in Antioch emptying into the rive that I like taking my dogs too that always seems full of algae. They have never gotten ill, but gee wiz, I'm really worried now. I wonder if Dr. Ted can test this algae for us too.

On a more serious note, I contacted an aquaintance of mine that works at one of the Delta pumping stations in Byron. He says that this time of year the San Joaquin river flows backwards so that water can be pumped to Southern CA.

If the algae around Sherman Island is toxic, why is that the regular sailers there are not getting ill after sailing there day after day?
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afolander wrote:

If the algae around Sherman Island is toxic, why is that the regular sailers there are not getting ill after sailing there day after day?

Yeah, my skin is still the same beautiful green with purple polkadots it's always been. And, as I said before, it's always something. Check out this quote from another thread about my old hangout, Berkeley:

Also, on Wednesday, (not thursday) there was some nasty sewage bubbling up through the manhole cover by Lordships and pooling around the parking lot. Gross.
nogybe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Kudos to Dr. Ted Reply with quote

At least Dr. Ted is looking out for us ...

The algae story finally made the papers. Found this on the web today purportedly from the September 14 edition of the Stockton Record. You can read it yourself at:

http://ww.pennnet.com/News/Display_News_Story.cfm?Section=WireNews&SubSection=HOME&NewsID=151864

If the story is accurate Contra Costa County officials did nothing. San Joaquin County officials made an attempt to warn boaters before Labor Day by posting signs at the marinas. I guess there aren't enough windsurfers to worry about.

If this is the way we are treated there may be even less Sad
dalilama2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: water quality Reply with quote

Might be a coincidence but..........................I was nursing a chronic sinus infection and chronic conjunctivitis with ear involvement during the whole season from windsurfing at Coyote Point. Granted I do spend my share of time in the water................Has anyone else been effected in this manner ???????? Does anyone know about the water quality of the bay in this region?
HoodRiverDave

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed Sherman Island last Sunday 5/18/08 and on Wednesday had a ear infection (entered through the sinus cavity according Dr) to beat all.

Wondering if anyone else suffered a similar fate?

I just need to learn not to fall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: