myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Graph - version 1.3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> WeatherFlow Labs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kvaughndog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Very Happy Please make it permanent.
juk1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Great new dynamic graph Reply with quote

Great graph, I like it better than the previous dynamic graph.
(But please keep the classic graph option. I switch back and forth, although I may not do that now anymore...)

I noticed one thing that could maybe improve in the mouse over feature (which is very cool btw).
When average and lull are very close (in value and at the same point in time) the mouse over brings up two separate windows with identical information but with different headers (Lull vs. Wind Speed).
I propose (if I may...) to only bring up one window for wind speed and always call it "Wind Speed" it already has the lull, average and Gust information. (see example case Berkeley Marina 8/31/07 2:59pm)

May I also make an other suggestion, in addition to a graph offer a "Table" option to see the actual values over time.

Keep up the good work!

JUK
garye

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Graph - final release candidate Reply with quote

I like the graph. What i would like to see added is the degree of the previous arrows so one could see the historic changes in wind direction

david wrote:
We hope to launch a replacement for the dynamic graph soon. To see the latest version of this new graph, use this link:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=163&siteID=214&ClassicGraph=0&NewDynamicGraph=1

Once you click on that link, the website will default to the new graph until you click this link:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=163&siteID=214&ClassicGraph=0&NewDynamicGraph=0

Key features:
- Ability to add multiple models and overlay them (Featuring the Weatherflow RAMS model as default)
- Ability to turn NWS forecast on and off
- Scrolling and zooming graph.
- Time range select to enable quick scroll for desired time periods
- Units selection
- Flash based which should minimize browser related bugs.
- Clear layout with "classic" graph type of bottom fill
- secondary direction graph option.
- day/night distinction markers at midnight
- air temperature and pressure shown in data tooltips for observations.
- settings for units, models, direction graph, and NWS forecast can be saved.
- classic graph (static image) is still available

Known Issues:
- If the model data becomes dated, the graph may display the time-scale selector box incorrectly.
- Graph lines do not show gaps where the station was down or not reporting.

Updates to come:
- Save settings function to also remember zoom level
- Add end of 'tape-measure' markers which link to the archived graph and data.
- Add a drag indicator to better convey the ability to drag the graph left and right.
- Archive only mode.
- Add tide subgraph option where applicable.
nickcox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: New Dynamic Graph Reply with quote

Basically I'm not too impressed with the new dynamic graph with the exception of being able to change the scale of the graph from mph to knots. Will there be an option to change the regional map to report wind speeds in the same units as the individual stations as well? Also, when the unit on the graph are changed, why doesn't the wind speed at the top of the station screen change to match units on the graph?

The old dynamic graph looked much cleaner and neater without the individual data points and was easier to use with out the the fancy buttons (most of which appear to be just gimmicks) at the top of the graph. Yes, the mouse-over is nice, but then it's only really useful for people who have difficulty reading graphs. Why is it not possible to scroll back more than two days in the new graph wheras it was possible to scroll back a whole week (or more) with the old dynamic graph? Definitely the new dynamic graph looks less professional than the old one does.
amarie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what Juk1 said above (and sorry if I repeat anything others have said; I didn't have time to read all of the comments), but I do think there is only need for one mouse over window per time interval, since as configured the gust, lull, and avg windows all give the same data. If you have an idea of having different stats that could come up for each one, then maybe separate windows would become useful.

One thing I don't like about either this beta or the last updated version is the red vertical line that I guess is supposed to indicate the limit of the most current data. I live in an area that has lots of fronts and/or occasional strong storms, and in the old version of the graph, the red gust sometimes really WOULD spike from near 0 on one reading to off the charts on the next, creating a near-vertical line. Now every time I log in, I see that red line and have this pavlovian reflex to run and load my small gear into the car, because no matter how often I remind myself, I seem to forget between log-ons that now the red line is always there to denote the current reading. Really, I don't think we need anything to denote the current reading, because where the graph simply ends, it's obvious that those are the most recent readings. The line just states the obvious (unless I'm understanding it wrong), so why not remove it for a cleaner, simpler view?

thanks for your work to improve the site and for being so interactive on the feedback .
kahana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Nice Reply with quote

I like this new dynamic graph a lot. I never got used to the previous one. This new one seems like a nice compromise between the classic graph and the previous dynamic one - so I think I'll be able to use this new one exclusively now.
alexw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: New dynamic graph better Reply with quote

New graph has my vote!

-->Alex
davef

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new plot capabilities are a nice touch. I would suggest that if units are to be changed on the plot that other places where wind speed is used should also change units.

Keep up the good work....
elkegeiger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it except for the fact that these can no longer be saved as JPEGs for sending to your sailing buddies. Guess I'll just have to do good old-fashioned screen shots...
rlshirey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: User defined Y axis Reply with quote

The graph I saw for Cabrillo had a Y axis range of 0 to 195, which compressed the data and made it hard to see variations. If the user could input his own range, eg 0 to 40, then the variations could be more easily seen.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> WeatherFlow Labs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: