myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Another Pt Isabel Forecasting failure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faradroka1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:

I think IWindsurf owes it to us, their paying customers, to send a warm body up to the bay area and negociate a new home for the sensor. I mean, how hard can that be? "Shut down by OSHA" to me is just a cop-out for "It's too expensive to fix." C'mon IW - FIX THE DAMN SENSOR!!!
Steve

i am a warm body! Pick me! I'm thinking of nailing a big wind sock on the platform and pointing a webcam at it. anyone know someone at the marina bay townhomes that would let me setup a webcam? if they have dsl, I'd rig something up.
windsrf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One simple reason for "only 10" at PI yesterday was that ALMOST EVERYONE was at Berkeley! Why go elsewhere when you know it's howling (remember Mike F - NLWTFW)? Also, Mike G's earlier comment about Pt Potrero paid off handsomely for me the day before when Berkeley sucked. Had marvelous time behind the jetty - and if desired extreme chop, could have simply portaged 20 feet across to south side. Putting sensor away from shoreline at PI would be basically useless IMHO (from what little I know about meteorology/winds). However, there is that nice wood platform/marker out in the middle if a wireless/solar sensor setup could be attached? David US212
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get over the number of people here who do nothing but bitch about the wind forecasts. Do you ever look at the weather forecasts??? Regular paid "weathermen" can't even get those right, yet you want specific wind forecasts for specific locations with VERY specific wind forecast. Get real.

Try going back to before Iwindsurf (or Call of the Wind as it was). I was a member the second year they came out and it more than doubled my days on the water by knowing where the wind was blowing and not just guessing and driving to the location and sitting waiting (and praying) I made the right guess and the wind would come up...

As to the sensor, yes it would be nice to have a new sensor (I live 2 blocks from Marina Bay launch) in the area that I live at, but it is not that simple to just "throw up a sensor". If it isn't in a good location then it won't be accurate and you all will just bitch about that. Those of you who know somebody who would be willing to have a sensor set up (I think 2 peole live on the front) try HELPING getting them in touch with Iwindsurf and maybe then can work something out. But it isn't just a sensor, it takes some way of getting the information (land line) to the system....

Really, if you hate the service that much why pay for it? Why not just leave.....
andydavis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
I can't get over the number of people here who do nothing but bitch about the wind forecasts. ...

...Really, if you hate the service that much why pay for it? Why not just leave.....

my point is that a "no forecast" is preferrable to a false one.

As to why we're bitching in this forum...it's called lobbying. We just want the service to be more useful.
jse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
Really, if you hate the service that much why pay for it? Why not just leave.....

Hey I love the service. I have no problem with the forecasts. I just want the PI sensor replaced or something adequate in its place. It would be a cake walk to install one on any house in Marina Bay, but that doesn't tell us what the wind is doing at PI or Brookes Island. Still, it's better than what we have now. I say go for it and work on a more appropriate place over time. If Marina Bay sensor registers wind, that tells me I will either find it at PI or MB. Either launch is fine with me.

Steve
vadler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard many on the forums say that they like PI. Is the swell bigger than 3rd? Does it need an ebb or just big wind?
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1,
I teach. High school math, physical education, and windsurfing during the summer as well as coach high school football. I also used to coach high school basketball but that became too many irons in the fire.

Coachg
carl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vadler wrote:
I've heard many on the forums say that they like PI. Is the swell bigger than 3rd? Does it need an ebb or just big wind?

The swell is good, not as big as 3rd, but you don't have to go far to get it, just upwind a little from the launch. The current is weak at PI. I haven't noticed much difference in swell size betw ebb and flood, there maybe some. Most just sail inside of Brooks Island, the swell is good and it's a large sailing area. The best part is when the upperlevel wind is WSW (making for bad news at 3rd today) it often blows good at PI and Berkeley, because the prevailing direction there is WSW.

PS, wake up Andy, it's time to sail!!
ethurlow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl is right...any south or fog at the gate means PI or Berkeley or Rio will kick in. Iwindsurf has a radar/satellite that shows the location of the fog. It is pretty useful.

Also, if Berkeley is cranking up, as someone responded in this thread, then PI is a good spot.

If you live south of the "maze" then traffic might persuade you to stop at Berkeley and before reaching PI.

Ernie
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I would like a working sensor at PI also, but they might need some help and/or suggestions on where. Remember the guys at IW don't live at every sail sight. So they may not know all the places to set up and indicator. Then there needs to be a "landline" and a place for the hardward to be set up near the sensor. Somebody posted that there were two people who live down by the water at Marina Bay (which is just as good for most PI winds), but if the guys at IW don't know who they are, how can they ask to use their home? Maybe those who know them might suggest they contact IW and work something out.

As to Berkeley and PI having the same wind, that isn't always true. Sometimes PI is going off and Berkeley is flat, other times it's the other way around. And it isn't just wind direction. If you live in the area, you will notice a "fog finger" that extends across the bay and into the El Cerrito Hills. This seperates Berkeley from PI. It's the microclimates that Godsey has talked about. I prefer PI over Berkeley but many times it doesn't matter and only Berkeley has the wind.

I haven't really noticed any difference in tide and it's effect on swell. PI is a shore based sailing area (vs a channel based area), so there isn't much current.

As for the forecast, regular meterologist can't even get rain/dry right. I don't think they are right more than about 50% and that is just talking wet/dry. Trying to say if the wind will be 12 or 17 is beyond most of them (if you don't believe me, check the marine forecast). Yet many people here expect perfection from people providing the service here. Use the forecast as an indicator, not words from the "burning bush".....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: