myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who sails at Ocean beach?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ducdive

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also been an Ocean Beach regular for about 20 years and have ground down many a fin riding in the shallows. Good to see some of the crew posting our secrets to having a great day of sailing out here rather than a frustrating and possibly expensive outing. Hey what's up Euro George !! Haven't seen you out here in a while.

As mentioned above, I think there are only 5 or 6 of us sail every chance you can get at the Beach regulars left. We rig up at the base of Balboa street. We used to always park together in front of Beach Chalet and would often have to carry our stuff up the beach just to get out. Good thing somebody finally smartened up parking wise.

This season is shaping up to be one of the best and the time to sail here is now. Look for a day like yesterday, windy and small surf. Yesterday was a little up and down and I was having a tough time on my regular wave board and a 5.4. Made the switch to my big orange RRD and zipped right out. Also if you drive up on the less windy days and see guys killing it beware... That may be some of us out on our Ezzy 6.3s!!

Tide matters once and a while but especially this year because of some funky sandbars set up over the winter, particularly in Kelly's. I find that high tides are often easier to plane right off the sand past the break since there is usually less rows of white water to negotiate. Lower tides on the other hand can provide a nice relatively safe and smooth zone to play in between the inner and outer sand bars. Again just be careful of those 2 foot shore break dumpers lately.

For sure I'd rather be down the line wave sailing on the coast and that's where I'd be if I lived in Santa Cruz or Half Moon Bay. Ocean Beach is the after work ocean fix I can score on a regular basis. Some really good years I think I'll get 20 plus days in vs only half a dozen or so at Waddell. The pluses; beautiful setting, jibing off smooth wave faces outside, backside wave riding into the corner and all the air you want. The minuses; parking lot chafed sails, equipment breakage, bigger animals in the water than in the bay, and sometimes all your exercise from your windsurf session here may come from lugging your gear back up the beach after multiple failures to launch.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked about North. Stinson is same as OB, but caution, windsurfing is not allowed in the summer and I've been harassed a couple of times. I can surf or stand up but a sail is a threat to swimmers, totally stupid.

Palo Marin is a favorite at high tide if you don't mind a hike. On a south swell tuba at the end of Limantour beach is a fantastic spot.
ducdive

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak of the devil! Gonna be sailable again today although not classic with some small south pulses showing in the corner but almost no waves otherwise. Also might need the bigger stuff again and there's a fog bank way outside with a more westerly direction to the wind. Kiters will be on it for sure. Hope someone sails it. I can't due to Easter obligations. Have fun and be safe.
fxop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there a few years ago on a 30 mph day in March when it looked like a lot of fun. I talked to a couple of regulars who told me about long rides past Safeway etc, and emphasized the need for bigger gear. I went out and bought a 95 L wave board just for OB. Haven't been back. Expensive chat on the beach.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some pictures and a video from OB on Saturday 4/11/09 here:

http://www.sunsetsailboards.com/blog/83-i-cant-bottom-turn

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
rowan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Sailing OB Reply with quote

The most fun I've had there is during the winter on a stormy south east blow side shore opposite tack.

Good luck on a NW.
rowan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Sailing OB Reply with quote

The most fun I've had there is during the winter on a stormy south east blow side shore opposite tack.

Good luck on a NW.
martyrosse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried OB for the first time a week or two ago on a NW. With the Funston sensor averaging in low 20's, I was slightly UP'd on a 5.8 and a 104 litre Naish All-Terrain, and I couldn't get out. I weigh 212 lbs. I tried again another day on a 5.8 and 115, with slightly bigger fin, and made it out a couple of times and loved it. The waves were a little smaller the second time. Maybe 6 feet, with stronger wind (mid 20's average on Ft. Funston sensor). I found it a great change from Crissy--more invigorating, challenging, smoother water, good jumping options, etc. And it makes getting out at Waddell seem like a piece of cake. I definitely will keep sailing there when the tide is right and Crissy is ho hum.
bwheeler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: points north Reply with quote

I've eyeballed OB, looks just like salmon creek (bodega); onshore, light on inside and constant battle to stay outside. Recommend Palomarin, tuba (epic when you finally get there) and most of all dillon beach. This last has tons of room, peaks everywhere, and big silky smooth sections due to outer bar closout. All backside lefts, but who's complaining. Hmm, gusting to 50 there right now, must be april.

b
gerritt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only sailed OB once on a strong dead north wind. It was side side/off and I couldn't believe my eyes when I pulled up. There were only two other windsurfers out and a number of surfers upwind toward the cliff house. The waves were clean-faced and being held up by the wind. I don't exactly know where I launced, but I rigged in a parking lot that was half way erroded. I rigged a 4.7 and small 75 liter board, jumped off the lip of the parking lot into soft sand and ran down the hill to the beach. I got out, but it only lasted for 30 minutes before dying. The current was fierce and the waves were about head high and broke hard. I got a couple of down the lines before running out of wind and got rinsed in. I wound up south of some type of pipe (poop?) outlet and had to head carry my gear upwind through a strong current in waist deep water.

It was very cool and I've never fotgotten it.

Question for the locals: do you guys consider a north wind nirvana for the place, or did I just luck out? I have been waiting for a strong north wind to conincide with my schedule, but it hasn't happened yet. I think this was back in about 2002. Normally, I just go south for waves as its about equal distance for me between OB and the Santa Cruz spots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: