myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How is the sailing at San Luis Forebay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now mainly sail at Sherman Island and a bit in San Francisco Bay but I have had some great sessions at the upper lake at San Luis. I have never understood why most everyone sails the forebay when there is such a great body of water less than a mile away. While I have not sailed there in quite a few years I found the wind to be quite steady and the chop is not too bad because the water is deep. Also at least in the spring and early summer there is no water level issues as in the Forebay. I have never sailed there in late summer so I do not know how low the levels can acutally get. We used to launch from the dock by the boat ramp near the Basalt Flats campgrounds. Maybe its the stories of rattlesnakes in the rocks by dam if one were to get washed up that far down wind but to me the rocks never looked any worse than the ones on Sherman Island.

The requirement 15 years ago to sail the upper reservoir was to carry 3 flares, line, a knife and sail with a buddy. I don't know if these still apply but it is a small price to pay for the pleasure of sailing there.
bowen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: San Luis Forebay Reply with quote

FYI....When the water gets low in the forebay, launch from the south side under the powerlines. From there the runs are down into the main forebay lake with virtually no weeds except right at the launch. When it's windy the runs are paralell to the north shore of the lake and quite long; more than a mile. I actually sail there exclusively and don't bother with the up wind cover anymore. Note the attached satelite pic of the launch location***

tile.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.73 KB
 Viewed:  19524 Time(s)

tile.jpg

jp5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so which do people sail? the lake or the forebay??

I'm heading up there in June.
ctuna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: forebay Reply with quote

Forebay 99% of the time. Also the forebay is a no kiting zone because of the Powerlines.
ctuna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Weed Fin is neccesary Reply with quote

I think by June a weed fin wil be absoulutly neccesary as there has been a lot of sun this year already.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: