myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
UCLA/LA question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FredFX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: UCLA/LA question Reply with quote

I'm a junior in high school currently, so I've started looking at colleges, one of which, UCLA, seems to be my top choice at the moment.

Wikipedia states:

"The department also manages the UCLA Conference Center, a 40 acre (0.2 kmē) convention center in the San Bernardino Mountains near Lake Arrowhead."

Now, I was wondering, how big is this lake, how windy is it, what temperature is the water, are there windsurfers/kiters there, etc...

Any help is appreciated Very Happy
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no windsurfing at lake arrowhead. (for sure) It is a very cold lake and is private. On the other hand my daughter went to Berkeley, which is one of the finest educations a windsurfer could have.

ps. only 40 minutes from ucla is some great sailing in Malibu, or Cabrillo.
boardsportsrule4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, think about Cal Poly san luis obispo,
not quite as warm, but great wave sailing 40 minutes away, and lake sailing 20 minutes away.
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maui Academy run by LeviSiver?
UCSC, need a car, 20 minutes from It's, Swift, and NaturalBridges. 45 from Wads.
UCB, 15 minute bike ride down to CSC, mostly newer than '07 windsurf gear.
But some would say you gotta study and actually learn something from college, so HARVARD.
human_catapult

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*ahem* let me clear my throat.

Last edited by human_catapult on Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
human_catapult

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berkley.

Obviously difficult to get into, but I would choose another of the many bay area colleges if you seriously wanted to windsurf and go to school.

I've also heard good things about University of Texas- Corpus Cristi.
beallmd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to UCLA until 76-very long time ago. Fabulous school, great education. Lots to do on campus and around the area. Great for BBall, 2 on 2 Vball. But you will study and the trip to malibu is a bit of a pain-although I dated a women who lived there and we/she went back and forth constantly so it can be done. Berkeley was my other choice with very similar cred and opportunities and is right in the heart of the sailing. Purely on basis of sailing Berzerks is better. Enjoy; it it is a great time in your life-I enjoyed all of it.
nealpar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say first, GET INTO A UNIVERSITY. Then, ONCE YOU GET IN, and figure that despite your class load you still MIGHT HAVE TIME TO WINDSURF, then ask around again, and DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU GOT ADMITTED, there will be plenty of advice to sort through. Good luck!

If you're Asian, you have a good chance of getting into UCLA. Smile
Whaaaaaa. It's true.
loopy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went to ucla in the 80's -- they offered windsurfing rec classes at
marina del rey (you'll need a car to get between campus and sailing).
it looks like there may be a bit more options now. see:
http://www.recreation.ucla.edu/insidepage.aspx?uid=8fff9790-2c74-4d76-851f-7b7df46886ef

advantages of ucla over berkeley are:
a. warmer waters
b. could probably complete your homeworks earlier and have more
time to sail

downsides:
a. less reliable wind
b. tons of other distractions
c. need a car

on the other hand, if you're already a proficient sailor, why not consider
ucsc or ucsb?
kpsounis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred, windsurfing (play in general) is too important in life to put it in second place as nealpal is suggesting, and this is coming from a prof in a university which is the main reason why I am sending this. (google my id if you need to verify this ...)

The algorithm is simple: first, get all your admissions in line. Then, rank the schools taking into consideration both how good they are (their ranking), and how good windsurfing (kitesurfing, snowboarding, whatever) conditions they have close-by. This will push some schools up in the list, and some schools down, so you end up with your personalized ranking. Then you decide.

For example, 10 years ago, I sent emails to the various presidents of the windsurfing clubs of universities I have been admitted prior to my decision. I ended up at Stanford which ranking wise is at the top anyway in my field (engineering) but I made up my mind only after the president of the windsurfing club at Caltech told me "the best place in US is around santa cruz, but we are closer to san carlos". I am not suggesting that you should reject a top school for a bad school because of windsurfing, but going to a top school at midwest or even northeast may kill you, so weight everything in your decision.

If your field is engineering, send me an email with the schools you have been admitted to and I can help you... Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: