myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What's happening at Fred Howard park in Tarpon Springs,FL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom9167

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: What's happening at Fred Howard park in Tarpon Springs,FL Reply with quote

Heard something about closure of the bridge there.

So.. where are all the windsurfing faithful sailing? How is it?

Any other info is appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that's rumor. That's the only place I've WSed in Florida, and it ws one neat spot. Statistically, from my experience, it blows 3.5 every day. Wink

Mike \m/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renovations, is what I heard. You are joking, Mike, I'm sure. Dunno when it'll be finished, never sailed there. Try Dunedin Cswy and/or Honeymoon Island. Gulf sailing is mainly like Howard anyway except the occasional gale or tropical....Cheers.
kajTEK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can wsurf right below fred howard at a place called sunset beach park.. but just like fred howard esp @ low tide you will need a weed fin...

watersports west just had a demo there in october of windsurfing/kite/sup gear. .it was alot o fun ...
Steve (the owner of Wattersportswest)brought alot of stuff out and provided food.. def was great. .big thanks to him..
I take pictures for them and here is a link to some pics I shot of the demo day just south of fred howard.. In thelast pic seq you can see the fred howard bridge and the construction cranes they r using for renovations..(gulfster.com check this site for info on surf tampabay area)

http://www.gulfster.com/Daily/2008PictureGallery/102608WaterSportsWestDemo/102608WaterSportsWestDemo.html

I will post a topic once i get all the pics and video sorted (been too busy at work and busy going ridin cuz the winds been on almost every day here in tampa)

personally fred howard and sunset beach are too far for me to drive. and too flat water I like the chop and wave action.. so in tampa i surf on east winds: skyway and ballast point (tampabay) and st pete pier west winds w surf Passagrill and honeymood island(good surf too) and for west/nw seabreezes i go out behind my apts @ gandy and westshore just north of picnic island(were i used to go b4 i moved on the water) and cypresspoint park is also exelent for w/nw/n
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
You are joking, Mike, I'm sure.

Nope. Been there once, sailed way overpowered on a 3.7 or 3.8 all afternoon. Thus statistically, from my experience, it blows 3.5 every day.

Mike \m/
tom9167

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the closure is real enough

http://www.realestatewebmasters.com/blogs/lipply/6014/show/

So.. any Tarpon Springs sailors out there?

Where are you windsurfing these days?

Thanks,
Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: