myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best mast base: streamlined Vs Chinook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:

This is a moot point IMHO I use two Europin base extentions and hardly notice that I have to depress the button when rigging. It's much easier than doing the same with the two buttons on the spring pin of the Chinook. However, what I have found mixing and matching extentions with bases would be that they aren't always exchangeable. From the Streamlined website you find that their recommended retail price for the base only (Part# 2000 'TWIST-ON', uni with base cup (USA standard), 290gr(10.2oz)) would be $81.95. The Chinook twist-on costs $49 at extremewindsurfing, $52.95 at The-House, $53 at InlandSea, and $57 at Sailworld. That's a considerable difference.

The current MSRP for the Chinook universal to which you refer is $57. It is a single-bolt twist-on universal with an hourglass rubber joint. This is a less expensive universal partly due to the hourglass rubber joint (as opposed to a urethane tendon). Some people prefer these "rubber" joints as they are softer, bend more easily, and can smooth out chop. Other people hate them for their "sloppy" feel (including me). A personal preference. One thing that always bugged me about this Chinook joint is that the mast track post is off center. This doesn't make any sense to me. Anybody know if this is still the case?

Chinook does offer a single-bolt twist-on tendon joint for $67 (which has an on-center mast track post) which is more of a direct comparison to the Streamlined product. Put the two products side by side and you could probably see why the Streamlined is a little more expensive, and the Streamlined is so much easier to tighten and untighten from the board.

http://g-42.blogspot.com/2008/06/check-that-uj-tendon.html

Regarding having to press the release button to connect the universal and extension, once you get used to it, it's just bothersome to have that convenience taken away. Even when I was using US-Cup gear, I could connect my rig without having to depress the twin pins. Some stuff goes together more easily than others. I was using Streamlined and Chinook universals and Neil Pryde mast extensions. This combo was easiest as the NP base cleats had really nice ramps to guide the twin pins into the base. The spring on the twin pins on the NP uni were too stiff to do this and the base cleat assembly on the Chinook extensions didn't click together as easily. Disconnecting w/ the NP extension was also easy as the depressions around the pin holes were really deep.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One thing that always bugged me about this Chinook joint is that the mast track post is off center. This doesn't make any sense to me. Anybody know if this is still the case?

I bought a 1-bolt chinook this year and it is off center (windsurfing hawaii used to be off center too). It just has to do with the way the part is manufactured- one bolt goes down through the plate to connect to the board, the other bolt comes up through the plate to connect the u-joint. I imagine on-center designs have a single stud that passes all the way through the plate. In any case, the offset is very minimal and other than maybe looking a little weird on the beach, I have never noticed any effect on performance.

sm
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha...
Funny story how I remet TomStone sailing at Kailua like 20 years ago...
I was slaloming back and forth, fastest guy on a PriesterBuilt, and Tom jumps in the water and waves me down. He says.... "look at your mast base". I look, it's fine. Then he points out that when I'm sailing powered up, the aluminum base is outside the edge of the board, the joint can stretch THAT far.
Hardly noticed any diff sailing, as the change from Crissy to Kailua is much more traumatic than a measly 13" stretched joint.
And when I changed to a spare, I actually had some of the boyz almost keep up....sad for me Sad Sad Sad
Do we actually dink mechanical bases are faster?
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
Ha ha...
Funny story how I remet TomStone sailing at Kailua like 20 years ago...
I was slaloming back and forth, fastest guy on a PriesterBuilt, and Tom jumps in the water and waves me down. He says.... "look at your mast base". I look, it's fine. Then he points out that when I'm sailing powered up, the aluminum base is outside the edge of the board, the joint can stretch THAT far.
Hardly noticed any diff sailing, as the change from Crissy to Kailua is much more traumatic than a measly 13" stretched joint.
And when I changed to a spare, I actually had some of the boyz almost keep up....sad for me Sad Sad Sad
Do we actually dink mechanical bases are faster?

so... that's why i'm so slow Laughing

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, we're just waiting for the day when you finally get again, a full on slalomrace board and cambered, or not, fast multibattened locked draft sails.
Just for variety, to break the long doldrums of spinny, aired, rotated moves.
I've tried CA's stock of mechanical joints. Noticed it made the windrange lower for me, that's all.
Then I tried my tendon and rubber Ujoints, didn't notice much difference since the day is constantly changing with windspeeds and tide, direction and gustiness.
So... I don't no anyding. Wink Wink
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
FWIW, you can get about 1" more mast track adjustment range using a Streamlined 2-Bolt Universal vs. a Chinook 2-Bolt Universal. The Streamlined deck plate is smaller, and the mast track bolts are closer together, which give you the extra adjustment range. May not sound like a lot, but when your total range is limited to 1.5" w/ a Chinook 2-bolt, adding another 1.0" of adjustability is a lot (0.5" further forward or back).

What board is that on? I don't know what my total range is on my JPS and Fanatics, but I know it's over 3".

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
kevinkan wrote:
FWIW, you can get about 1" more mast track adjustment range using a Streamlined 2-Bolt Universal vs. a Chinook 2-Bolt Universal. The Streamlined deck plate is smaller, and the mast track bolts are closer together, which give you the extra adjustment range. May not sound like a lot, but when your total range is limited to 1.5" w/ a Chinook 2-bolt, adding another 1.0" of adjustability is a lot (0.5" further forward or back).

What board is that on? I don't know what my total range is on my JPS and Fanatics, but I know it's over 3".

Pretty sure this is the measurement on my Tabou 3S. With the Chinook 2 bolt.
Kevin what is the Streamlined 2 bolt Euro connection like compared to Chinook 2 bolt ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingyoyo wrote:
This is a moot point IMHO I use two Europin base extentions...

Brucie, even after individual tutoring for your spelling, you still have trouble with "extentions." The word is extensions.

Here's a hint: Switch to Firefox and use the built-in spell checker.

BTW, they're looking for you over on boards.co.uk. Don't you owe them a guest appearance, big guy?
spyder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno wrote:
sailingyoyo wrote:
blah blah blah...

BTW, they're looking for you over on boards.co.uk. Don't you owe them a guest appearance, big guy?

Pueno...I think you need to add another alias to the "Swift Files"...apparently "Rnails" has arisen !
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spyder wrote:
...add another alias to the "Swift Files"...apparently "Rnails" has arisen !

Done.

And thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: