myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
F2 Axxis 270 1993?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
I'm not always dead on right, I'm even wrong sometimes

More than sometimes. If memory serves your "I said it's possible to plane in "13mph winds" had you on a 4.7 and a sinker. If I had the time that you apparently do (4+ posts per day according to IWS) I'd pull a collection of your "advice" to share.

Meanwhile for anyone following the original thread, Show says he's looking at a 15 year old Axxis...that's a 1993 or 1994 board...not the red stripe version of the later 90's. The mast track is way forward.

Over and out.

boden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RobW-imposter and anacreon for all the useful information about the
late 90s Axxis 272; I will go ahead and get the new-used board (pretty sure it's a 1998). Apologies to the OP for changing the subject of this thread a bit.

To LeeD and Peconic, I really appreciate the variety of opinions and wealth
of experience represented on this forum. IMHO, both of you regularly make insightful comments and truly helpful suggestions, even if you sometimes disagree.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
isobars wrote:
Just how else are we to evaluate Lee's credibility?

(go back to rec.windsurfing) of people jumping and contradicting LeeD provides some insight as to the value of what he has to say.

Isn't that r.w's (and now this forum's) specialty, regardless of the value or accuracy of the post? Whether it's BFF or GW, neither group wants to hear opinions or hard facts contrary to their mindset. Their unsubstantiated contradiction thus carries no weight.

isobars wrote:
I'm sick and tired of people's inability to comprehend that supporting one's statements is important, valid, and necessary if the statements are to be of any use.

1. So in your mind only those posts accompanied by stories and personal histories are valid?
2. I'd say that some people like to simply address the question,
3. while others like to talk about themselves in addition to answering the question,
4. while still others use the question to talk about themselves.[/quote]

1. "Only", no. But relevant history does add credibility to facts and perspective to opinions. "The board rocks, dude" means squat, because we don't know whether the poster's total WSing experience is one board on one pond or 147 boards -- many of them recently sailed with GPS -- and thousands of days of sailing all over the Bay area. I'll take paragraphs of evaluation backed up by paragraphs of relevant history over 10 anonymous "It rocks" any day.

2. Similarly, I'll put far more faith in and learn far more from a thorough analysis of an issue than in a simple answer to the one question a poster thought to ask. As long as the simple question is answered ("The Axxis is rideable"), why not also provide additional info the OP can read or skip? IMO, only the OP has a right to whine that his OQ is too-well answered; no one else is in a position to assess that, and nobody makes 'em read it. "Is a glacier on Mount Ararat melting?" has virtually no bearing whatsoever on "Will Minneapolis be a tropical island by 2025?", so simply answering "yes" and providing a photo of a melting glacier misleads anyone trying to understand GW.

3. If it supports his opinion, what's wrong with that? Geez, does everyone under 50 live only in sound bites these days? No wonder people get suckered in by such substantive arguments as "The debate is over".

4. Again, relevance and support. I find relevant personal histories infinitely more interesting and useful than irrelevant and vapid pot shots. If one is not interesting or relevant ... I DON'T READ IT. What a concept!

And what I find INFINITELY more dismaying and disgusting is that anyone objects more to personal histories than to this group's long, vicious, libelous vendettas. They're almost as different as a fart and a child rape ... and at least the fart serves a valid purpose. I'd fire an employee who engaged in these stupid vendettas, but I can and do just roll my eyes and walk or look away from irrelevant histories.

Mike
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
relevant history does add credibility to facts and perspective to opinions.

Of course. Which is why I have so often objected to LeeD's detailing of irrelevant history

isobars wrote:
"The board rocks, dude" means squat, because we don't know whether the poster's total WSing experience is one board on one pond or 147 boards -- many of them recently sailed with GPS -- and thousands of days of sailing all over the Bay area.

I'd say it means squat because "rocks" doesn't tell us anything. Separately, that someone says they have thousands of days sailing does not mean that they sail well or sail like other windsurfers or that they understand why equipment performs well or not or for whom it's suited. There are plenty of windsurfers who have been at it for 20+ years who are not well suited for giving advice. What I know about LeeD from his self-described sailing is that he takes pride in not falling. If that's his goal, then fine, but in my experience most windsurfers are trying to learn new skills and push themselves to new levels of achievement in which getting wet is fundamental.

isobars wrote:
IMO, only the OP has a right to whine that his OQ is too-well answered;

I'm unaware of anyone ever whining that a question has ever been too-well answered. For myself I whine about questions that have been poorly, erroneously or misleadingly answered.

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
1. in my experience most windsurfers are trying to learn new skills and push themselves to new levels of achievement in which getting wet is fundamental.

isobars wrote:
IMO, only the OP has a right to whine that his OQ is too-well answered;

2. I'm unaware of anyone ever whining that a question has ever been too-well answered.

1. I fully, often, and loudly agree.

2. I've been accused of and vehemently castigated for it well over 100 times, and you criticized Lee for commenting on the Axxis's speed. He, I, and most others who may offer more information than was explicitly requested are usually just trying to explain the short answer, anticipate and answer other questions we consider useful to the OP or the discussion, add stoke, motivate readers, substantiate our comments, or maybe even -- God forbid! -- just riff on windsurfing as it relates (in our minds) to the topic. If an OP doesn't have the time to read a long reply more or less on his topic, he surely doesn't have the time to learn such a complex sport. I'd sure as hell rather read a topical response than the OTHER 50% of BS we see here.

Maybe you base your comments largely on Lee's r.w history, and maybe that's valid; I wouldn't know, as he entered that outhouse pit about the time I climbed out and left it. But even if he's an ass I've not recognized as such, I still support his right to answer thoroughly.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: