myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
133 litre board for 100-105kg person. Is it too optimistic?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feuser

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
Good luck finding a 2008 board used this part of the year. 2.2 lbs per kg means the same as 2.2 lbs per liter for neutral flotation. Even with the rig, 133 would mean some positive buoyancy. May want to consider a Kona. I've got one that replaces 3 short boards. Does the flats and surf very well. Gybes way easier than one might think. Just got to commit to the non-planing gybe (long board style) or the planing one. Just a thought.

How is that going to fit into a wagon?

Different realities.. I have to make sure my boards fit into my elevator!

Florian

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
MaximNYC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your info and advises.

Finally I bought 2007 Roket LTD 140L and 7.5 Gaastra matrix. Will see how it goes.

P.S. Placed an order on 4th of July. Now, I'll remember this day as an "independence day" - my independence from Windsurf Rentals Laughing
feuser

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaximNYC wrote:
Thank you for all your info and advises.

Finally I bought 2007 Roket LTD 140L and 7.5 Gaastra matrix. Will see how it goes.

P.S. Placed an order on 4th of July. Now, I'll remember this day as an "independence day" - my independence from Windsurf Rentals Laughing

Congrats Maxim

You're in an entirely different part of hell now... Independence - Or hooked for good?

Wink

If you need smaller sails than your 7.5 and are located in NYC please let me know.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.aerotechsails.com

Sails designed for world wide applications in Florida. Need power, and top end stability? Want innovative materials in your sails to make tougher and lighter? First to adopt X-Ply, Pentex, and Cuben cloths to windsurfing.
MaximNYC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want to continue

first some report. 140l happened to be not so difficult to uphaul for 220lbs person. Had to purchase smaller sail to be able to progress initially - 6.2 Natural to be precise. Just recently switched back to the original 7.5m. Jibe is the past, tuck is still work in progress.

So what is next? I guess it must be wave board Wink (want to try "another" side of windsurfing)
As usually looking for advise from "220+ league". What volume? Brand? Will 100ltr keep me afloat or better 110? What kind of sail people use for it? What is minimal wind speed requirements?

Thank you
Max
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exocet Cross 106 oughta fit you fine. If you are looking for a numeric equation for your concerns about floating and all. 2.2lb = 1 kg. 1 liter = 1 kg of water displacement. 220lbs/2.2 lbs/kg = 100kg. Your rig will be about 10kg... Your guess for truly neutral buoyancy is 110 liters. Any plus or minus factors, skills, should make you feel fairly comfortable with 106 liters. Plus, I've rarely ever felt like a Cross, in any size, has ever felt too big for most conditions I've sailed them in. That's Exocet's best attribute: rarely if ever feels big in wide ranging conditions. FW boards being the only exception.

www.exocet-original.com
gerb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm your weight and started sailing 3 seasons ago on a 145L Fanatic Shark. Boards in this range perform great these days. You should be fine on a 135L if you at an intermediate level. If you are a beginner I would possibly go a little larger. If it is mostly flat water you desire to ride in you'll be fine.
rroeder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Re. 220 Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

This is an interesting discussion that I wish I had read 4 or 5 years ago! I too am in to 220lbs club and have finally settled on a:

AHD 150 liter freeformula, and
Mistral Sincro 99

It's a big gap between the two, but the latter rides a bit bigger than it is. With this combinations and sails from 4.5-9.5, I can go in about 16 knots to around 35.

Just moved to Long Island from Toronto, looking forward to the fall.

One other problem that I have as a big guy is fitting in the suit. Right now, in the colder months I am using an Oneil 5/3 with built in hood (designed originally for surfing.) Problem is that the shoulders and forarms are d*mn tight. Smile

Thinking of the Ocean Rodeo "Pyro Surf" as a replacement, so that it will hopefully be good for windsurfing and surfing. Any thoughts?

See you on the water, Roland
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: