myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How dangerous is a kiter upwind?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jax2000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Kiters and WSurfers Reply with quote

There are many venues where kites and wsurfers sail, and usually they are separated geographically for safety. At La Ventana there is less separation as I found out. A sail went down near me while I was water starting and both lines drew taut around my neck. I was able to get both hands on the lines and pull them off. It was definitely scary and an eye-opener. I am convinced that the power of the lines could have cut into my neck, possibly to the jugular vein or carotid artery.

I've also seen kites come down hard near beachgoers, including children playing innocently. I'm convinced they pose a risk to the sailer and those around, and watch them very carefully whenever they are near me or others. We just need to be responsible for our actions and be cognizant of the potential risks. (By the way, I was not the person mentioned above at La Ventana. Also, I am wsurfer and sometimes kiter.)
ccyne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like this discussion might make for a good Mythbusters episode.
gorgekite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wonder were all these kite line injuries come from. In 20+ years of windsurfing and 7 years of kiteing I have yet to see a kite line cut. But I have seen several bad injuries from fins and boards.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about that "hit and run" case a couple years ago at Rufus? Dunno the details, just heard about it. Put a couple people in the hospital and the perp got fined and served.... Kiting is dangerous in more ways than just lines chopping and cutting.
wsmike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those who become aggressive on the water, and to those who witness aggression on the water:

Be aware of your own attitude, aggressive thinking is the only thing that leads to aggressive actions. If you can quell your own anger on the water, a great jedi will you be! plus you'll have a lot more fun and so will those around you.

"Anger leads to hatred, and hatred leads to suffering. The path to the dark side it is." --Yoda
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsmike, good advice, for sure. I was just trying to help some folks realize that kites can be dangerous. Seen some pretty hairy stuff happen involving kites close by over the years that would indicate that kiting is dangerous. Plus, more often than not, kiters with attitude get all windsports banned from certain venues. Down in the Miami area, Crandon was a close one several times. Virginia Key has banned for kiting only. Kites effect a large area when deployed. Lots of folks can become involved down range. Kiters that become over confident and cocky do no favors to anyone....
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsmike wrote:
To those who become aggressive on the water, and to those who witness aggression on the water:

Be aware of your own attitude, aggressive thinking is the only thing that leads to aggressive actions. If you can quell your own anger on the water, a great jedi will you be! plus you'll have a lot more fun and so will those around you.

"Anger leads to hatred, and hatred leads to suffering. The path to the dark side it is." --Yoda

But at the same time, its not all about just taking it up the ass either. Sometimes checking an agro's behavior on the water is just the thing to set them straight. I've had days where I just "ignore" it, but in reality "just put up with it" is more accurate. Same guy buzzing by 2ft or less away over and over again. Then there's days where I've snapped, and on buzz number two let the boom out enough to make their eyes go as wide as silver dollars. Wasn't bothered ever again for the whole day. You tell me me which works better... Yoda had a mellow vibe, but I seem to recall him packing a pretty punchy lightsaber too...
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once ... we talk.
Twice ... I act.
Third ... not gonna happen if he's sane.

It's a shame half our country prefers to bend over. There'd be a lot less local, national, and global bullying if we didn't.

Mike
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once ... we talk.
Twice ... I act.
Third ... not gonna happen if he's sane.

It's a shame half our country prefers to bend over. There'd be a lot less local, national, and global bullying if we didn't.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: