myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The RAY STORY ABOUT CROSSING THE 90MILLES OF OCEAN
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
armaswindsurf

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: The RAY STORY ABOUT CROSSING THE 90MILLES OF OCEAN Reply with quote

Shocked May 4th 2008

So my dudes!!!... I will try to do it good and short with my english: April 22th 2004,8:00am,... I was In Matanzas cuba,and the day after I was sailing as usual with my friends... and the idea of escaping just came to my mind,when we finish windsurfing,I ask to one of my friends to sleep that night at my place cuz I will need his help for something (I didn't tell him what fore) at 6:00am we toke all my gears and put it on the bike trailer that I use to have there (and I'm planing to rebuild here) and we went to "FARO DE MAYA" = "maya lighthouse" a very secluded area at the coast of Matanzas city, the wind start blowing a little bit at 8:30am and around 9 was kind of good enough,So.. then I told my friend what fore we where there (hahahahaa, you just miss his face!!!!, I bet you hem didn't believe it till I just disappear in the horizon... hahhaaaa) So... from that point was all sailing and sailing till I reach the middle between Cuba and florida THEEENNNN you just imagine the size of the waves (OCEAN WAVES DUDES... OCEAN ONES!!!!) Those don't brake like use to happen close to the beach... this are like titanic elephants,slow but HHHHHHuuuuuuuggggeeeeeee... and because of that, I crash 1 of the 3 times that I crash, cuz i told myself "where and when the hell are you going to see waves like this" so... I ride couple of it... but cuz my gear wasn't the write one (nothing new,back in cuba we never had "the wright things") OK,MANY OF YOU MOS BE WANDERING WHAT KIND OF GEAR I WAS USING THAT DAY. Take a sit first..,this is going to be hard to believe it: (remember this was in 2004) I was in my 1990's "BIC VELOCE" 3.10 cm (several repairs on it...of course) with just a 30cm fin (wrong one),the foot-traps where just old foot-traps skeletons tided with scot-tape ,the boom was full of epoxy and repairs, the harness line was just 2 pices of rope covered with plastic host and tide to the boom with no more than hand knots (don't make fun of me please... I told you guys,we do and repair and invent anything, just to keep sailing) the sail was a 6.5 bic freelite... no compass,no maps, just a bar of a kind of peanut butter and 1L of fresh water. (sailing and stopping 15min/h the all trip will be around 8 or 9h) but around 4pm and around 20 miles from one of the florida keys (I guess Marathon key) US coast guard don't give much info, the USS CONFIDENCE COAST GUARD catch me, and toke me back to Cuba (with all that means) but not without give me some documents that finally after 3 years of interviews, the us gov give me the VISA has a political refugee with permanent residence and all the benefits from the gov. And I become a FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE of communism and dictatorship !PERSON! ... but this my friends is a veeeeeeeery reduce part of the story.... But, if tomorrow one of you want to know more, I finaly are going to be around Conney Island beach and Brighton beach SAILING, that... if I don't get arrested first for carrying all my stuff on the subway... I will be there around 3pm,I don't think it will be hard to find me, not many windsurfers are going to be sailing at the same time...hahahaha....

See you around guys!!!!!!!! good winds for all!!!!!....

PS: If there is any doubt about if all this is true, try to check with the US Coast guard, maybe some one know some one that knows how!!!.. what I remember when I get on board of the coast guard.., more than one of the crew was with video camera and photo camera... and believe me, I will love see some of it!!!!!!!!!!!!! or have some copy!!... who knows!!... maybe thanks to "iWindsurf" I finaly get it!!!!!!!!!!

kien dice ke yo no voy a dormir con mi tabla.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.53 KB
 Viewed:  18503 Time(s)

kien dice ke yo no voy a dormir con mi tabla.jpg

armaswindsurf

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: check this video Reply with quote

still is "pending" but maybe tomorrow will be ready. Search for this video "ALL OF THIS"

And the tags are: Ray,windsurf,cuba or something like. You guys will like it!!!!
armaswindsurf

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Me Reply with quote

ceriouslly,... you can chek this information, (if you have how to get in touch with the US Coast Guard) "USS CONFIDENCE, April 22th 2004, around 4 pm, me: Raydel Armas Alfonso" (2 last names, cuz we in cuba also have Mothers,not like here... hahahaha... just kiding)

But you can call me RAY!!!!
-=koLLac=-

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, now that is a radical. Big props dude. I waited until communism fell in Slovakia Smile
armaswindsurf

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Ray Reply with quote

So,you know what communism minds... See,.. is very easy call me crazy for what I did... but back there my mother was the satate atourney or "FISCAL DEL ESTADO" but we was against the goverment... So you now most imagine the preasure over us, and what things move me to do it.... !Fucking Castros!
skyhigh

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: cuba to florida crossing Reply with quote

Way to go my brother Ray,what a great story Shocked ,glad you made it...back. Welcome to the good ol' U.S.of A. and good luck to you my friend,and enjoy yourself at coney island and Brighton{i've never been}peace out skyhigh
armaswindsurf

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Ray Reply with quote

Thank you my friend... very nice of you...
www.NjWind.info

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that really is one of a kind story! where is the video?
armaswindsurf

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: About the video Reply with quote

Finally I only was able to publich just one video(that is on the list) but the one that I mind that got a price in a novel video competition in cuba,the managers of this site decide regected cuz I use a blink 182 song "All of this".... That's stupid,... if that is the case, then nobady cant use any song,cuz always is gonna be made for somebody else.
armaswindsurf

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The RAY STORY ABOUT CROSSING THE 90MILLES OF OCEAN Reply with quote

[quote="armaswindsurf"]Shocked May 4th 2008
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: