myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Winter sailing Mexican West Coast??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davies01

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Winter sailing Mexican West Coast?? Reply with quote

Does anybody know the odds of catching some consistent wind on the west coast of Mexico this time of year, other than Baja? And where that might be?

Thanks
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out San Blas, hear it has great waves. It was beautiful and warm in mid-winter. Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta may be other possibilities. Unfortunately, many turistas seem to vacation there. I found Mazatlan to be dirty and Mexico's competitor to Atlantic City.
mattb777

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Puerto Vallarta and have delivered yachts down the pacific coast to Panama before. The wind season is Jan to July. Kitesurfing is much more popular here. Bucerias is the best place I have found but winds are not guaranteed. Colima has some good spots also. Wind is 10-25 knots from the sea breezes in the afternoon. The sea heats up so much that the sea breezes stop around July and dont come back untill Jan when the water is 'fresh'.
kmakani

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any wave kitesurfing possibilities in Mazatlan?
geohaye

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmakani, make sure to post your question on the iKitesurf.com Forum, because that's where most of the kiteboarders hang out:

http://forums.ikitesurf.com/index.php
dougclark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Wind in W.Coast Mexico Reply with quote

The mainland west coast of Mexico has very light winds (less than 15 knots) all winter, in fact all year except when they have a tropical storm. The windy spots are in Baja (both sides) and the area in the far south of Mexico known as Gulf of Tehuantepec. Now, you don't really want to go out in the typical 30 to 40 knot offshore wind in Tehuantepec, so that limits you to Baja. However if you are looking for 8-12 knots, you can get that nearly every day around Puerto Vallarta, but if you are that level of sailor you probably would not like windsurfing in the ocean waves.

I'm not an expert, this is just my experience from spending one whole winter cruising this area in my sailboat (such light winds that very little sailing was done so we just powered everywhere) and about 5 winter vacations in the same area. If you want good windsurfing, check out the windsurfing resorts in Baja. Sure wish I was there right now!

Sure Mazatlan is dirty - in places (remember, this is Mexico), but its really fun and totally charming in the old section.

Doug

Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: