myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
going too fast causing problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brega

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: going too fast causing problems Reply with quote

i use a fanatic gecko 278 board and a 5.7 board. every time i go out, i have problems with the rig. i start to accelerate at a good speed and comfortably planning; but when i start going very fast(at least fo me) i feel a pressure against the rig from the front. so i have to pul hard on the boom and try to push the rig with my front hand. then i loose speed and control and fall. I think it may be that their is alot of apparent wind or the wind i generate from my speed and it creates pressure on the other side. What do you guys think? what should i do?
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I'd have to say its 1 in a million that this has anything to do with the sail or board... sounds like pilot error, and I don't mean that as an insult. Are you holding your course as this happens? Have you sailed other boards/sails at the same speed and don't have this problem? It sounds to me like you're rounding upwind as you sail and pick-up speed. If so, then that's your problem and you need to learn to stay on a beam or broad reach. If you're really good, and it just happens with this sail, then I don't know what to tell you. Wish I could be of more help.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be a compbination of many things. If there is a more experienced sailor in your area, you would do well to have them either watch you sail or possibly even sail your gear.

It is most likely an issue of lack of skill plus poor or improperly tuned gear. i.e., a really good sailor could make the gear work, but for someone learning, your gear may be holding you back.

You say you are on a 5.7 sail, but you don't say what kind of sail. Is it a fully battened, modern sail (built within the last 10 years)?

What you are describing is something that typically happens when sailing overpowered on older gear or on modern gear that is not rigged properly (too little outhaul and/or downhaul). When a gust hits, the back hand loads up, the front hand has to push out, and the sail wants to weathervane and put you into the water on your back.

Without seeing your gear, it's hard to say, but a few rigging tips would be to be sure you have your sail downhauled properly. For modern sails, this means that there needs to be looseness in the leech in at least the top 3 panels. When in doubt, add more downhaul! The outhaul also needs to be adjusted properly. A 10 to 12% draft setting is a good all around starting point. This means that at the point of max depth, the sail's depth should be 10% of it's max length. So, if your boom is set at 60", depth should be approximately 6".

With your sail rigged properly, you should have your boom set around shoulder height (or higher for boards over 70cm wide). Your harness lines should be set so that the load on your hands is balanced to slightly less on your back hand when in the straps, powered up. If your lines are set up to be balanced when not planing, then you will get back handed when you are powered up in the straps.

Last. If your sail is more than 10 years old, get a new one. There is plenty of used gear out there for cheap that is in the 5 year old range if you can't swing new gear. The new stuff is a lot better. Old gear WILL hold you back.

sm
vims

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on the good tips from bred2shred.

-James
vims

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on the good tips from bred2shred.

-James
dennisrodger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Check your harness lines Reply with quote

I fought a similar problem years ago. I'd sail fine up to a certain windspeed but once I got really powered up I was fighting the sail as it tried to take a dive onto the windward side of the board by the nose. Someone finally explained to me to move my harness lines back.....which to me seemed really counterintuitive. BUT, when you think about it it kinda makes sense. As the sail powers up you may find that your harness lines are not centered anymore. What worked at one wind speed may not work as you power up and the sweet spot of the sail shifts a bit back. The result of this is that the power moves back in the sail which cause the clew to pull away and the luff to start trying to crash down.

I'm sure this may have some (or a lot) to do with rigging, etc. but I still find this happening sometimes though I spend time to get rigged correctly. I usually sail pretty large gear and often use an adjustable outhaul......this really helps you see the rigging impact. I find if I begin to get overpowered I can haul in on the outhaul to depower the sail a bit.....BUT.....it winds up moving the power spot of the sail and I've learned to anticipate the impact on rig balance.

Anyhow, long suggestion, but check your harness lines...you shouldn't have to wrestle your rig unless you are waaaaaay overpowered.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More downhaul and the correct mast will lock the center of effort in place, preventing the vast majority of those problems. Few novices or even intermediates downhaul sufficiently.

\m/
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As every one else stated, start with your rigging. It sounds like the draft in your sail is moving back in the gusts. What type of sail?

Coachg
brega

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. I use an old style sail that ends up pointy on the top, not like modern ones wich are flat. I don't know what year it is but I think it's from the 90s.
89Spring

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few old school guys down here in Key West that sail really old stuff because that is what they have. There is no doubt that the new gear is better but these guys rip around on this gear and it works for them. Their sails are all fully battened so not too crazy old. Point is it works. Try moving you harenss lines aft and keep them close together. Also try small rigging adjustments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: