myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Longtime Windsurfer Phil Valdman dies in car accident.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmarotta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Longtime Windsurfer Phil Valdman dies in car accident. Reply with quote

During the treacherous stroms in the Bay Area last friday, Phil died instantly in an auto accident.
For those of us that have been in So Cal for many years, Phil and I along with Jonney Ostman, Steve Bloom , and Ron Azoff started sailing in the early 80's. Phill was a regular at Cabrillo beach through the 80's until he moved to Monterey where he was a fixture at the San Luis reservior and the Delta. He was usually the last one out of the water and we will miss his enthusiasum for our sport. There will be a memorial service for Phil in Monterey this Sat . night . If any one needs details, please feel free to contact me.
johnnycrash

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
Thanks for the post, My heartfelt regards to Phil’s family and close friends. I remember racing the first Cabrillo Beach Enduro with Phil (in the mid-80's). In fact I have a photo of Phil, Frank Tafuri and I goofing off at the race. His enthusiasm was infectious. I’m sure he will be missed in our community. I’ll see if I can’t post the photo somewhere in this blog.

JO
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sad news... don't know if i ever met him at the delta or not... please post a pic if you have one.
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed with him at Cabrillo.
He indeed will be missed.

George
goldav

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was saddened to hear the news. My family and his moved from Cleveland, Ohio together in the mid-'70s to Canoga Park, Ca. Phil's actual first name was Pinchus and as a young child, I was never able to say it correctly so he was always just Pinky to me. My condolences go out to his family.
lutehowland

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to see the photo of Phil. I'm not sure if I remember the right guy. Did he wear a light blue helmet while at Cabrillo in the 80's?
Was this the time when everyone had those np raf speed sails?
condor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For many years boaters entering the San Louis Reservior were given a pamphlet of rules and regs. featuring a picture of a windsurfer sailing across the smooth water.  It was a photo of Phil Waldman, who in 20 odd years sailed there when ever the wind and water was up.  He loved to drag race back and forth and if you didn't know him by name, you would certainly remember his trade-mark black helmet or him relaxing behind is always spotless silver ford van. He was a unique indivdual who added spice to our lives...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: