myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anyone going out this weekend?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mountainbear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Anyone going out this weekend? Reply with quote

Question
madspaniard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we might get some sub-20 north winds on Sunday
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on weather watch all week while on vacation. If it blows NW on Sunday and fills in to the eastern part of the valley I will go to Seco, otherwise Lakw Washington. Later in the week we may get SE storm winds. Maybe a trip to the bay or visit my brother at Monara?

Coachg
mountainbear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey coachg, is Rancho Seco County Park ,the right location for Rancho Seco recreational area? Off twin cities rd? It's about an 1 1/2 away from me and I just want to make sure that I am going to the right place. Thanks.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountainbear,
It is not a county park, but privately owned by SMUD which is the Sacramento electric company. Here is the link
http://www.smud.org/about/recreation-rancho.html
and yes, it is right off Twin Cities Rd. Mapquest the town or Herald and the look for the lake east of there. If it is a good north wind I will be there.

Coachg
mountainbear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey coachg, thanks for the info. I had mapquested Rancho Seco and had come up with tons of locations. I am planing on being there tomorrow if it blows. Are you near Sac.?
wndsrfrmn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: The Nuke Pond Reply with quote

January 1993 Rancho Seco

I sailed the nuke pond (cooling water reservoir for Ranch Seco) on 18 different days in January of 1993. There was a string of storms and a couple brave (foolish) sailors were out there a lot. It was so up and down that we rigged two sets of gear; medium and xtra small. One day it was so windy that an occasional gust would knock everyone flat on the water. I heard on the news that night that there were gusts to 70. It was mostly surviving. "Adventure is a lot more fun in hindsight."

What ever happened to Dave the Australian bull rider?
sailandbail

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Brrr. Reply with quote

The lake didn't actually have anything to do with the plant's operation, it was just put in in case the reactor caught on fire. Too bad, though, the water could use a little warming like in Morro Bay (toasty wintertime surfing).

Bring your thickest suit...The water is at least as cold as the daytime air temps. I froze my ass in a 5 mil there last December! Shocked
mountainbear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4/3 and a spring suit that I will wear under it, I hope that it will be enough. I wore that in HMB a few weeks ago without booties and lasted for about 2 hrs. Hey sailandbail, are you going tomorrow?
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountainbear,
Yes, I live in East Sac. Seco is a 45 minute drive for me, Sherman 70 min, Folsom 40 min, Natoma 25 min and Lake Washington 10 min.

sailandbail,
Seco is no colder than any other place this time of year. In fact, it is probably warmer being a small lake. Besides, I thought we were windsurfing, not swimming?

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: