myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Water Level at Black Butte Resrvoir

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
csorens

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Water Level at Black Butte Resrvoir Reply with quote

Does anyone know how low the water level at Black Butte Reservoir can become before it's "unsailable" or at least not worth it? Is there a good place to check on it on the web? Since last winter was so dry I'm worried that it may not be worth a road trip to check it out.
jimbeall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Sailed Wednesday @ BB Reply with quote

I sailed a 5.5 ( many others would of gone 4.7 or 4.2, I'm 6'2" 225) wed am on 9/5. The main body never gets to low. Sailing from the Buckhorn area is off shore on the North wind. The Buckhorn arm is more fun in the spring and early summer. It is to low to sail now, with many trees sticking up and the reach is to short. The Red Bluff Airport auto weather number is 530-528-8030. If the report is 15 mph it is worth going as the venturi effect from the two small hills pushes the wind up 3-5 mph on a North. We get very few South winds because the southern hills block the South wind, using the airport reading subtract 5 mph. North wind on the main body provides some really flat water near the shoreline. 1/4 mile or longer reaches with very high speeds and planning jibes. The downside is that, it is totally off shore, you have to sail back up wind to beach. The south end of the lake is full of mud flats when the water is this low and they close the campground. When the lake is full, big swells are to be had on a North wind from the Southwest end.

We used to get 25 windsurfers yrs ago now, 2-6. Wednesday I was the only one. This not a friendly place for kiters. Sometimes we get 1-3 kiters. Kinda requires a motorized boat. Gusty winds, for example Wed I was getting readings of 12-31 mph avg about 24. Only a few access points so if you are blown across the lake (downwind) walks of 6-8 hrs to get back even driving around the lake takes 1/2 hr or more. Very few boats some days , Wed I saw none out and about. Kiters in the North Valley like the afterbay at Oroville, good access, you can drive all around it most places, lots of shallow water.

http://www.spk.usace.army.mil/organizations/cespk-co/lakes/blackbutte.html
csorens

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the info. Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, jimbeall. I think someone mentioned that number to me last year, but I lost it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: