myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hudson Wind - No, Cape Cod Wind - YES!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron.c

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Hudson Wind - No, Cape Cod Wind - YES! Reply with quote

I started planning for yesterday's big event on Thursday.

High tide in CC Bay (Skaket Beach) was about 3:30. Usually the NW wind really cranks to about late morning, so I figured that the crack of dawn session was my best bet.

Session A: Everything was laid out the night before. Early to bed and under power by 6:20am. Rigged my new Naish 4.2 on my beloved, trusty Haut 8-4. At roughly 3 hours after high tide, you can get in the water close to shore but must plan for a long walk back. I even had the forethought get someone else to go. His no show didn't matter. By 7:00, I was so overpowered, I had to count my front teeth in anticipation of a crash. The combination of huge winds, low water level and a low sun in the sky (which made the water dark) meant that I couldn't get a feel for the depth.

By 7:15, it was over. Putting on my smallest sail, an ancient NP MPR 4.0 wasn't gonna be enough of a jump. Overall a frustrating "B" at best.

Session B: By mid morning, the energy had returned, the trees were still bent over and a nod from the Boss gave me the green light to repack.

So now I'm looking to sail the incomming tide. I showed up at the parking lot before noon. There were only 3 friggin cars in the lot. Total white out, paint peeling conditions. Any confidence that I had at dawn was now shaken. I did see one unknown sailor that came out of Brewster. He / She seemed under control.

Just then, a van pulled up at the opposite end with a board attached. I thought, all right, some other nut job might give it a go. I went down and introduced myself. He was from Hopkington, and had read my previous advertisements for a good time.

Paul? pulled out a NP 3.7 which I was drolling for.

WTF, I rigged up my old NP 4.0 and chased him into the water. We started a good 3 hours before high tide. The wind was still pulling really strong. Weeds on my surf fin made no difference with the forward momentum. Sadly, he must of had plans as he packed it up just after 1:00.

Wind-A, Tide-A, Temps-A, Sun-A, New Guy who like the spot-A, Personal Performance-A

I felt a little sad leaving such epic conditions, but fatigue was setting in by 2.

That guy from Brewster, still goin' when I was packed up.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

RC
flaherty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Epic Skaket Reply with quote

Ron

Glad your were there to show me your spot. What a great sail,
yes I did pack up early, I thought the wind was dying, my bad.
I'll be back. I had the whole last week off, and that was by far the best of it. Kicking myself now for leaving early. Talked to various sailors during the week, a few had sailed at Corporation and Chapin, but to me it sounded like we were in the best spot.
I would grade it an A+ also. Btw, West Dennis was a bit of a bust yesterday and today.

Paul
ron.c

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, after 2 years or so of pumping my home beach, I'm glad someone came to gave it a go!!

We hit it big time that day. At the risk of beatn' the drum too much. I'll continue to give my forecast(s) for what could be the big days this fall.

What's good about Skaket is that it goes from pretty tame to advanced depending on the tide.

Thanks for the reply

RC

PS I'm not a big time surfer but today's glassy waves at Nauset - knee to chest high were a solid A in my book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: