myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nahant
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt007

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Nahant Reply with quote

I went to Nahant on Sunday because a NW was blowing, however I found that the wind is quite offshore there. What are the best NW sailing sites around Boston? Also Nahant looks really nice so what are the best winds for sailing it? There is a restaurant called Tides at the end of Nahant, right? Just want to make sure I went to the right beach?

Thanks.
beachdoser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you drive down the Lynnway to the end you are at Nahant. There's a cliff to the left with a green lawned park above it. I believe the Tides is the restaurant to the right of the beach. It's a long beach, and the sand has some mud mixed into it. The parkway continues along behind the beach with great views of Boston across the mud flats behind the beach. The best winds are those out of the East, and I don't recall any excitement about the NW. Easterly winds can produce some great waves as the basin has a perfect shape for them. There used to be a windsurfing community that lived on Nahant proper, a drumlin which you see from the beach, but I don't think many are left. It's been over a decade since I've been out there, myself. Do a forum search, and you can pick up more info.
gt007

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. So Nahant should work on a SE, NE, and E.

What is the best beach in Boston for a NW though? Wollaston?
scooper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out the site info for Hull. There are a number of spots listed that work on a NW. I've only tried a few of them- Brill's field is not a very good launch, Hough's Neck was O.K. but the high tide can be a problem with getting in because the beach is covered to the seawall. Photos etc. of Hough's Point here- http://waterloggedbyscooper.blogspot.com/ search for Hough's Point.

Lake Quannapowitt is very gusty in NW, as you would expect for lake sailing, same with Pleasure Bay. Wollaston Beach looked good last time I drove past in a NW. I want to try Hull Gut. Let us know if you have good luck with any particular site around Boston. My favorite for NW is Chapin, but it's a drive.
Dunoyer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been windsurfing in the parts for 20 years, so here goes:

Nahant has been sailed in all wind directions, check out these guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm9xT1Pun64

Problem is, the wind can be shitty there and good elsewhere, so beware of the skunk... Pee-U!!!!

Northwest is great at Chapin, Mayflower, Bayview or Corporation, all beaches in Dennis on Cape Cod on Cape Cod Bay.

Closer to Boston, I've had great NorthWest Days in Wingaersheek, Gloucester. Only issue is the beach Nazis could shut you down if the beach is busy, though usually, if it's a good NW, beach goers can't stand the cold.

Hulll Gut could be good, was there once in A NW, but the wind was a little weak.

Let me know if you need more info
scooper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the waves like at Wingaersheek?
windwardpartners

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Nahant Reply with quote

[quote="scooper"]check out the site info for Hull. There are a number of spots listed that work on a NW. I've only tried a few of them- Brill's field is not a very good launch, Hough's Neck was O.K. but the high tide can be a problem with getting in because the beach is covered to the seawall. Photos etc. of Hough's Point here- http://waterloggedbyscooper.blogspot.com/ search for Hough's Point.

As a 'local', I have to offer a small correction here, Scooper.

Your comments and photos re Hough's Neck are not 'Brills Field' but are actually the launch described on iWindsurf as 'Seawall'. which is, as you point out, difficult at full high tide. The 'Brill Field' launch is further along the same road and is much easier. See the site info for Hull, but for the best NW conditions and launch see the Parkhurst Beach info here http://thewindmap.com/?z=9&p=9&lo=42.2710928259566&la=-70.95662713050842&n=424 . All work well on NW and are relatively convenient to Boston.
Dunoyer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wingaersheek has nice waves. There are tidal flats, so if you time it with an outgoing tide, there'll be some waves riding, cause the fetch is a good 10 miles.
beachdoser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decade ago I sailed the Gut, but don't remember much. It's a shipping lane, but that didn't stop me. The current, too, is one of the strongest in the North East. As per another poster Hingham bay never receives much wind. I enjoyed the sailing there, though. I'ld try doing a forum search for more info.
scooper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windwardpartners- The entry in my blog has nothing to do with Brill's Field. If you read it you'll see that it is clearly about Hough's Point/ the seawall. I say it in the title, description and captions so I don't know why you were confused. The pictures show it at low tide and high tide so you can see the difference.

I've never sailed at Brill's Field. I drove to look at it, found a long walk through a field/playground, up a narrow very overgrown path, over a small hill/dirt wall, and back down to the beach. Once there the launch looked good but I ruled it out as way too much work to get my equipment there. Maybe there is a different place to park around the field or an easier path but I didn't see it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: