myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Flat Water in Ontario?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.MACINTOSH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Flat Water in Ontario? Reply with quote

I have been searching for flat water in Ontario to do a little GPS speeding. Minet's Point can be flat, but gusty. Keswick occassionaly works in the fall on the good NW, at least close to shore, but otherwise the need for a weed fin is a killer. Cherry Beach can kick on an easterly, but this doesn't happen too often. Does anyone know of other good flat water spots in Ontario?

I've travelled to Bertie Bay on Erie, but never sailed there. It was blowing about 15 knots, and the water looked very flat, but does the wind generally survive the upwind point on a SW?

And how about Crystal Beach? From Google Earth, it looks like the bay is protected by Abino Point - but again I wonder if the wind makes it past the point.

I'd be grateful for any info anyone might have.

Cheers. Smile
albert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: flat water in Ontario Reply with quote

You've hit them all from what I know. In kewsick, you may know that you want to be in the farthest south end as possible for this. You launch from the "kiters" beach and head 1/4 to 1/2 mile further south and do your trials from the edge of the weeds/reeds to the shoreline and back. You could also launch from Walter Drive, south of the kiters beach to be even closer to where you want to be. There is public parking there at that beach. Noone launches there in the summer, but we use it alot to launch in the early winter for ice sailing.

You won't find flatter water with as steady a wind anywhere else in a NW. If your doing speed trials, you shouldn't need a weed fin. Assuming your in winds that strong, and going for and above 50km/hr, you will cut through anything you encounter and should be able to get planing fast enough to not accumulate any before you get to speed. You may need to check your fin before each trial run.

Joe Albert

p.s I don't normally post to the board, just happened to see your recent post when I logged in.[/quote]
fishinator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you are in luck. The water is flat in Ontario here about 99% of the time! Perhaps even 99.9% as it appears lately.

Unfortunately, your GPS results will be quite pathetic.

Wink

Just frustrated...

FISH
snowy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Speed Spot.... Reply with quote

Well Im not sure if I should reveal this spot but your intentions are admirable. So Here it is.......

"Oliphant" north of Sauble Beach. Well protected from swell but has enough fetch to get some good winds off Huron. There are lots of different spots there so take your time to find the best ones, You will most likely need something with 4x4 to acess the best spots,

Good Luck.
fathomfathom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Scugog is great by SW in the spring before the weeds grow. Very flat, can be windy before Simcoe/Ontario in the spring with no doming effect.
J.MACINTOSH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. This is incredibly useful.

Joe - I didn't know about south Keswick, and will give this a try. I always launch from the windsurfers' beach. Next good NW, I'll launch from Walter Drive.

Yeah Fish, I know what you mean. Pathetic is an understatement.

Snowy: is the water flat enough for speed trials?

FathomFathom: Where do you launch from on Scugog?

Anybody: What about Bertie bay and/or Crystal on Lake Erie?

Smile
fathomfathom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=44.149958,-78.842263&spn=0.001382,0.00206&t=h&z=19&om=1
wavespire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: GPS Reply with quote

Check out behind the break wall at Lake Ontario Park in Kingston on a South:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1000+king+street+west+kingston+ontario&sll=44.214094,-76.539688&sspn=0.006982,0.014591&ie=UTF8&ll=44.21574,-76.540246&spn=0.013964,0.029182&t=h&z=15&om=1

If it's 4.0 or less and massive swells aren't your thing, 50 yards on the leeward side is pure flat water heaven for a 1000 feet or so. Twice a year at best, usually fall. Any time now would be good. If the link shows map only click satellite to see what I mean.
J.MACINTOSH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fathomfathom and Wavespire: You've got me going. You know you're excited when you have to get up and go to the bathroom. I got about 33 and a half knots at Keswick last year, but I'd like to get 35 or better this year (once we actually see some wind). The Kingston site looks like it has no speed limit. Do many people sail at this site? Very Happy
J.MACINTOSH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wavespire - one more question. Where do you launch from at the Kingston site? Thanks! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: