myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
spur of the moment OBX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatrickDietz00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: spur of the moment OBX Reply with quote

I im taking my first vacation days in 7 months, for all of 9 days. Im stoked, and have nothing to do, have not so much $$, just need to get out of NYC.

thinking of driving to OBX with my gear on my subaru with my road bike and stickin it out.

what are my odds of 6.0m/105L weather or better?

I can hack putting on my 3mm full or my 5mm as long as air temp is 50 ish

any other better reccomendations?
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: RE: spur of the moment OBX Reply with quote

Ive been going to OBX for about 6 years but only in April and May. Ive been told the season is between March-June and September-November.

Its a great place to go and is probably the best bang for buck vacations Ive ever had.

Going in January may not be so great as the winds probably not as good and you dont have many other options in the case of getting skunked this time of year.

Before making the 11 hour drive from NYC, you may want to look into travel deals for Dominican Republic, Baja, Costa Rica, Bonaire. Ive never been to these places but hear their great conditions in the winter months.

DC
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: RE: spur of the moment OBX Reply with quote

OBX in Jan can be done. Ive done two 4 day trips this month. The odds arnt great, unless you can watch the weather forcasts and just go when it looks good. Stay in Kill Devil Hills for about 60/nite.
jpf18

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: RE: spur of the moment OBX Reply with quote

Aprils probably your best bet. Its already warm so you can camp out. E.g. on Frisco Woods campground. During windfest perhaps? Ive heard from reliable sources is April 19, 20 & 21 and you get a shot at checking out gear
scooper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: RE: spur of the moment OBX Reply with quote

Ive never been to the OBX but Ive read that it gets wind in the winter and that the problem is that it is too cold for most people. It should be pretty easy to look back over the archives for both wind and temp. Also, NOAA should have bouy reports with water temp. Its hard to believe that there arent some hard core sailors that are out there in the winter. It sounds a lot better than Cape Cod right now. scooper
PatrickDietz00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: RE: spur of the moment OBX Reply with quote

thanks for the advice. Sounds like I should make the trip later on. The whole country seems to be getting hit with wild temperatures this winter, too.
PatrickDietz00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: RE: spur of the moment OBX Reply with quote

thanks for the advice. Sounds like I should make the trip later on. The whole country seems to be getting hit with wild temperatures this winter, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: