myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How big is too big?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melpel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: RE: How big is too big? Reply with quote

Not sure that combo will get you there... 120 will be a marginal floater for your size, and you will need (or at least want) a reliable uphaul rig so you are not stranded trying to water start. My opinion - you need a bigger board if going for 15 or less winds...

On a separate note - Palo Alto is highly tide specific. I have only sailed there a few times but know it is a mud-pit during lower tides. Just guessing - you probably need a +3-4 before it is sailable, so given your limited timing the number of days the tide is right AND wind is high enough there... may not get you many extra days.

Not sure where in Sunnyvale you work, but consider taking 280 to 3rd. I work in Palo Alto - taking 101 (most direct) can take 45-60 minutes, 280 is reliable at 30 minutes to 3rd.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: RE: How big is too big? Reply with quote

Many people make the mistake of using volume to determing sail size. It is your board width, specifically 1 off the tail, which will determine how big a sail you can carry. So, how wide is your course race board?

Coachg
jp5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: RE: How big is too big? Reply with quote

I also weigh 225 and have had good results with a 130l board and a 7.1 sail in 14-16 mph winds. I can uphaul the 130l board if need be where as with a 120l board I could not.
melpel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: RE: How big is too big? Reply with quote

You launch from a pier, and sail down a short channel before it opens into the bay. It may be only 100 ft (?), but the problem is more how bad, rather than how far. The mud there is soft and deep... I would only be slightly exaggerating by saying you can sink in waist deep in that stuff!

Google maps has a good shot at high tide - search palo alto, california, select satellite image, and zoom in just west of the golf couse/airport. You will see the pier in the channel. Actual channel width is only about 1/4th the water width in this area (rest in shallow mud).
carl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: RE: How big is too big? Reply with quote

You cant sail or even walk in/out because it just turns into a big mudflat (and its deep mud thats impossible to walk in, youll sink past your knees). Go there sometime at low tide and youll see. You need about 4ft to sail there, at 3ft youre starting to drag the fin.

As for the board, Is 57cm the widest part of the board? or the tail one foot off the end? If its the widest part of the board, thats a really narrow board for 120L by todays standards. A modern wide shape will certainly plane up much quicker even with the 7.0.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: RE: How big is too big? Reply with quote

If your board is 57 cm wide one foot off the tail, then you should be able to go much larger than a 7 meter. My 115 liter board is only 40 cm one foot off the tail an it can easily handle a 7.5 and probably an 8 meter sail.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: