myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing in Washington DC area?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fpobrien3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing in Washington DC area? Reply with quote

Just moved here a month ago, and am looking for sites good for advanced beginner/intermediate level. (ie comfortable waterstarting, but still working on my jibes) I found this list - does anyone have a favorite among these? Thanks!

1. Belle Haven Marina, VA (1 hour from DC)
2. Chesapeake Beach, MD (1 hour from DC)
3. Dewey Beach, DE (2-1/2 hours from DC)
4. Fort Belvoir, VA (3/4 hour from DC)
5. Fort Smallwood Park, MD (1 hour from DC)
6. Gunpowder State Park, MD (1-1/4 hours from DC)
7. Kent Island, MD (1-1/4 hours from DC)
8. Kims Beach, VA (3/4 hour from DC)
9. Leesylvania State Park, VA (? from DC)
10. Mason Neck State Park, VA (40 minutes from DC)
11. Ocean City, MD (2-3/4 hours from DC)
12. Rocky Point Park, MD (1 hour from DC)
13. Sandy Point State Park, MD (1 hour from DC)
jpf18

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing in Washington DC area? Reply with quote

Your best bet is to contact / join BABA (Baltimore Area Boardsailing Association). Theyll know most if not all of the places.
gcoron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing in Washington DC area? Reply with quote

You have a local crew in daHouse dude:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/M-A-K-A/
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing in Washington DC area? Reply with quote

Just get ready for lots of light wind. Fronts due move through however. You might concider the odd trip to Hatteras lots of steady wind and shallow water in the sound.
mr_hyphen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing in Washington DC area? Reply with quote

I used to live in DC (Dupont Circle). Best two locations that cover all wind directions were Mayo Beach and Solomons Island. Lots of folks also go to Mason Neck State Park. All of these locations have shallow water near the launch, thus good for learning beach and water starts, and gybe practice.

Never had a very satisfactory session on the Potomac (Kims Beach or the turn-off just south of the Collingwood Picnic spot). Gunpowder is nice if you dont mind carrying your gear and the wind is not from the west. Belle Haven is not an hour, but more like 20 minutes .... lousy launch and lots of weeds. Sandy Point is crowded with non-windsurfers and has significant current (not recommended for lower intermediate level sailors). Leesylvania can be choppy and you have to contend with lots of motor craft. Fort Belvoir is no longer an option since 9/11. Kent Island (Kentmorr Restaurent) is nice but they were prohibiting windsurfing during the season when I was last there. Dewey Beach is great, but if I was going to drive that far, I went to Cape Hatteras.... the best place for you to learn.

Good folks at: http://www.somdwindsurf.com/

Join: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/more_downhaul/

Anyway, lots of opportunities, but difficult to get in a really good session after work during the week (where I now live I sail a few blocks from the house). Hope this helps.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: