myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Long Island, NY sailing sites ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psmith2004

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Long Island, NY sailing sites ? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have relatives moving to Smithtown,Long Island, NY and would be interested in learning about .....

(1)windsurfing sites on L.I.

(2)windsurf shops for rentals,etc.

Thank you!

Peter
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Long Island, NY sailing sites ? Reply with quote

There are a lot of great spots around the Island. In the summer, Heckscher is the spot where most people go. It is great on Easterlies, westerlies and southerlies. The thermals really get going during June and July at Heckscher. At Heckscher a weed fin is a must during the summer. West Meadow is on the North shore and is also very close to smithtown. It is good for West, Northwest and North winds. It can be challenging depending on your ability. These are the 2 main spots I sail and live in port jefferson station not far from smithtown. Not only are these beaches pretty close to home but are the best on the Island. Napeague is also nice for flat, shallow water, but you have to drive about an hour and a half to 2 hours to get there. There are also a ton of smaller spots all over the island that people go to, but those will be the closest.

Ive been keeping a log of days sailed and have been averaging 2 or 3 days a week of 5.9 or better at Heckscher( 2 weeks I even sailed 4 days) since the beginning of June.

Windsurfing Hamptons has rentals and if you travel all the way out to Napeague they rent gear at the beach on the weekends.

See you at the beach,

Mike
JRuffus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Long Island, NY sailing sites ? Reply with quote

is this mike colhessy?
psmith2004

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: RE: Long Island, NY sailing sites ? Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I will certainly check Hecks out. I also found a link detailing other site locales.
http://alumnus.caltech.edu
/~creutz/windsites.html

Peter
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: RE: Long Island, NY sailing sites ? Reply with quote

Nope. Its Mike Burns.

Yesterday, 5.3 all day at Heck, today the same, maybe better.

See you at the beach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: