myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What to look for in a windsurf van??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennisrodger

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: What to look for in a windsurf van?? Reply with quote

Finally taking the plunge and investing in a rolling toybox. Anyone have any revelations or specifics you would make sure you have or dont have in your windsurf van?
carl

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: RE: What to look for in a windsurf van?? Reply with quote

4 round wheels is always good! :>)

If you do alot of driving, good gas mileage really helps too. The minivan is king there. Im getting 20-25mpg with a Honda Odyssey and it fits 3 boards inside along with
6 sails, 3 booms, 4 masts, all inside and another passenger can sit comfortable in the front too. Other pluses are smooth ride and it drives like a nice car. Dodge Grand Caravan does the same as above and you may get a better price.
I drove some full size cargo vans. They drive more like buses, I couldnt tell where the road was most of the time. And most had a bouncy ride (except the new Chevy Express). Gas mpg is much less too. I calulated that I could almost buy a new board a year with the savings in gas alone.
bigboards

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: RE: What to look for in a windsurf van?? Reply with quote

If youre interested in a discounted option. I have an Aerostar with room inside for 4 boards, dozen sails plus masts and booms, etc. Its a 91 but it sarts everyday Smile
slynch

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: RE: What to look for in a windsurf van?? Reply with quote

Youve got a couple basic choices: full-size van or minivan; cargo van or passenger van.

Whether you get a full size or minivan depends on how much and how big the gear youll be carrying. Cargo van or passenger van depends if you will haul people as well as gear. Besides windsurfing, I use my van to take others on ski and camping trips. Dont know about full size passenger vans, but most passenger minivans permit the rear seats to be removed or folded away, essentially converting them to a cargo van.

When looking at a van, figure out how you are going to stow your gear. Are you going to sleep in your van? If so, then all your gear must go one one side or youll have to empty the van when you want to sleep in it. Either way, a rack is essential. It can be freestanding or hanging. In my setup, the sails, boom, and some mast sections are stored on a rack made from PVC pipe suspended from the seat belt hangers (seats removed). The boards, remaining mast sections, and mast extension go underneath. A sleeping pad goes on the side. Theres even room for a small refrigerator.

Passenger minivans usually have a rear lift gate that swings up and out of the way, providing a place to hang your wetsuit to dry, and can offer some protection from sun, rain, and snow.

A rear opening flush with the floor allows gear to slide in and out easily and allows you to sit comfortably with your legs dangling out the back. (Its the small things that count.)

Probably all vans have it, but the step area just inside the sliding door provides a good place for wet booties, water jug, dirty shoes, etc.

If you use the van in winter, four wheel drive comes in handy.
windward1

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: RE: What to look for in a windsurf van?? Reply with quote

I bought a 95 Dodge Grand Caravan and love it. It has the stow and go package where the seats all fold into the floor. I do not have to take them out of the van to put the gear in. Besides the garage is too full of gear to store car seats. They fold back up quickly when i need to carry people. The package is a nice little feat of engineering. Thee is nothing inbetween the front seats so a long board (read Bic Techno) fits totally inside the van with the nose curving around the passenger seat. Still room for my wave board and sails and other gear.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: RE: What to look for in a windsurf van?? Reply with quote

White.
Big.
Sprinter.
Everything else is just details.

Mike \m/
GarryW

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: RE: What to look for in a windsurf van?? Reply with quote

Im kinda partial to VW Vanagons. I drove full size vans for years and much prefer the VW. I will admit that Ive rented mini-vans on Maui and that another good option.
steve1

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: RE: What to look for in a windsurf van?? Reply with quote

I swapped an VW Vanagon for an Odessy after the VW broke down one time too many.

My wife, daughter and I all sail and we can get ourselves and all of our kit in it with the rear seats folded down and one of the middle row seats out. Thats 4 boards, 7 sails and assorted masts, booms, wetsuits etc.

It drives like a car, is surprisingly fast and does 19-24MPG with my lead feet.

It also serves as our bicycling van, camping van - and on one occasion as a sportbike recovery van (my mate dropped his R1 and shaved all the expensive parts off).
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: RE: What to look for in a windsurf van?? Reply with quote

We use a Grand Caravan minivan on the Mainland. It has a removable platform we use when we camp at the Gorge. You can fit two boards and four sails et al under and still sleep inside.
On the other hand,when my wife has the van I can stick a board and two sails in my old 911 Targa by propping them up on the passenger seat and letting them stick out the top like Naish. Buckle up for safety.It get 29 mpg on the highway.
mat12t

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: RE: What to look for in a windsurf van?? Reply with quote

How did you set up your rack? I just bought an E350 passenger van and I revoved the 3 back rows keeping just the second row for the twins and now Im trying to figure out how and what type of rack I want to build. Should I use PVC? or just build it out of 4x4 or steel? If you build a free standing rack out of PVC is it solid enoug just to be free standing? What did you use to hang it from the seat belts? I know its a lot of questions but if you can help it would be much appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: