myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SF Bay adventure Sailing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnisam

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: SF Bay adventure Sailing Reply with quote

DOes anyone know of anny windsurf journeys one can make in the SF bay with a destination. For instance I know one could sail from Crissy to Alcatraz,or from bridge to bridge, but i was wondering if anyone knew of any other ones (preferably a little easier and safer)?
Is there anywhere to sail to from berkely? it seems like there are multiple places one could go from there, but i wouldnt really know.

thanks.
jse

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: RE: SF Bay adventure Sailing Reply with quote

When the wind is just right, NW enough to swing the direction at Marina Bay to the side, away from its normal dead onshore direction, you can sail past the Albany Bulb and lay the point of land to the north of Berkely Marina, cruise up and thru the pier and land at Berkeley. Might have to tack a few times to do it, and I bet the wind will be light as you approach Berkeley.

And on a strong SW breeze, you could probably do the reverse too.

Steve
polarbear

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: RE: SF Bay adventure Sailing Reply with quote

From Berkeley, head out to the Bay Bridge, tack and head out through the broken Pier all the way to Brooks Island. Wind in Olympic Circle can be quite strong though, but it is a nice trek. One looonnggg reach! I did it a couple of time on a formula board, but I must admit, I did it alone. Not a safe thing to do. Wind was reasonable, not too strong, and tide was on a flood, so if I had encounter some problems, I would have end up on shore somewhere. I felt safe on the formula board. You can still stand up on it if the wind dies:-) But still, not a safe thing to do. I wouldnt mind do this one again and push it to the Richmond bridge.

From TI to Angel Island. Another nice trip, but make sure youre equipment is in order, that youve checked the tides, that you have a buddy to sail with, and that one of you have a radio/cell phone. A friend of mine broke a mast while on that trip with some other friends. Some sailors helped him get back to shore.

One that Ive never tried: a downwinder from Candlestick to Alameda. Kiters do these quite often. Have someone meet you there, since it could take a while to head back.

Downwinder TI-Berkeley. Not so glamorous, but ok.

Im sure other members will come up with other suggestions. The Bay is such a wonderful place to sail!!!
windfind

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: RE: SF Bay adventure Sailing Reply with quote

One of my favorites on a windy day with a WSW push fillng in the whole Cen. Bay. is to launch from Crissy and scream on a broad reach to Angel Is. Look for a white sand beach in the middle of the Island. You will have to swim the last 100 feet or so. Once there hike around and enjoy the incredible scenery. Then swim back to the windlne and make your first tack towards the City NOT Sausalito. (the wind may fade near the Harding Rock buoy) Jibe half way to Alcataz when you have solid wind. Then it is a cinch to make it back. Last time I did this I picked a bunch of flowers for Elizabeth and tried to pass them off to her when I her sailing near the N. tower.
Mike Gosdsey
slynch

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: RE: SF Bay adventure Sailing Reply with quote

Perhaps the easiest and safest adventure sail is a downwinder from Coyote to 3rd. You can stay close to shore most of the way down and its only 3 miles as the crow flies. If you leave a bicycle and change of clothes at 3rd, you could even do this solo (not recommended, but if you do, carry a radio).
steve1

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: RE: SF Bay adventure Sailing Reply with quote

From Berkeley, quite a few of us cruise out through the pier and into the middle of the Bay, or up to TI.

The Formula guys do this every day. I (and others) do the same on floaty slalom gear with long fins.

As others have said, the wind in the Olympic Circle is quite a bit stronger and the swell is a lot more like ocean sailing than the washboard chop closer in.

Sail with a buddy and take safety kit. I lost a fin (fatigue failure) on the return from a way out there session. Fortunately I has returned through the pier and was in sight of the resteraunt. I was alone and would have been in deep doo doo if it had failed 20 min earlier. That said - I still had a 1hr body drag/swim.

Steve C
Jrobb

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: RE: SF Bay adventure Sailing Reply with quote

Yesterday, Launched from Candlestick and sailed to bout half mile N of airport. Could have made it to Coyote or 3rd. Wind at Candlestick and Sierra point was SW or SSW. Gusty in Candlestick but just outside the point (Sierra) it was nice and strong and steady. I thought of going all the way, but board at 135l and 7pm deadline in Berkeley kept me only to about half way point (just past Flying Tigers). Like most journeys like that its best to have a bud or a specific plan with someone aware just incase. Mine was spur of moment, but ended up good. The reach out and back (gusty inside near stick aside) was fairly easy not having to pinch upwind much. Had too much board for the 2-3foot ramps and 6.4 sail too much for the gusts. However, I made enough headway upwind on the ride out that the ride in was pretty much broad reach with 5miles of blazing speed. Needless to say back at the launch I had to stop and catch breath before carrying gear to truck.

No tide really to deal with but if the wind drops, it could turn into a nightmare getting back...recommend slightly higher vol. than conditions might warrant. Im 88kg and around 100-105l I would have felt safe on. 95l way more fun but sloggin or not uphauling could pose a prob if wind dropped below 10mph.

J
mnisam

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: RE: SF Bay adventure Sailing Reply with quote

how about from larkspur to that rock under the richmond bridge? is that possible
jse

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: RE: SF Bay adventure Sailing Reply with quote

It can be done, but youre way downwind at that rock. Youll need to know for a fact that the wind is not going to switch to NW, or youre in big trouble. In addition, if the wind dies, its a long slog _upwind_ to make your landing at Larkspur.

How bout this. Launch from Bullhead Flats and sail the 10 mile reach to the mouth of the Petaluma River. That would be a lonely place to be stuck tho.

Steve
r_g_armstrong

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: RE: SF Bay adventure Sailing Reply with quote

Further south, one can sail from Palo Alto to Mowry Slough and back on a high tide. From the west side, head for the huge salt pile in Newark, and sail into the entrance of the slough, just north of the sign on the south entrance. From there, one can walk a few hundred yards along the north shore and observe the harbor seal hault out sites along the banks. Best to keep a hundred yards or so from the animals though. There are seal sentries in the water all along the slough checking that you dont pose a danger.

Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: