myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
An appeal free ancient large gear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject: An appeal free ancient large gear Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

I have an appeal to make..

Recently while near the Northern Cascades National Park for a backpacking trip we camped on a small lake. While setting camp we were shocked to see a windsurfer on an ancient long board and tattered sail towards our camp.

When he beached his gear we saw a 12 foot board largely held together with hot glue. And his 7.5 sail, which he said was his "high wind" sail, was partially held together with packing tape. His old aluminum boom had wooden dowels and rope for the end piece and the mast base was a jury rigged pipe. His mast appeared to be heavy fiberglass with lots of repairs.

When we mentioned we were windsurfers he became really excited since he had never met a windsurfer. He had found the rig abandoned missing many parts and had "restored" it and taught himself to rig and sail. This probably explained the 6 inch folds in his sail. He was shocked when I showed him how much downhaul a sail needs.

His gear was pathetic but his love of windsurfing was amazing.

Unfortunately, in his excitement to talk to us he dragged his sail over a stake and the brittle mylar tore from leech to mast. He is in an extremely isolated place and has no place to buy gear.

I told him that if he could make it to Portland this fall I would give him a never used carbon 460 mast and long mast bases but I had no booms or sails in his size range.

I wonder if any you have ancient large sails in the 6.5 to 8.5 range or old booms, mast extensions, universals etc. that you could provide this guy. Even totally scratched up gear would make this guy ecstatic.

I could pick up the gear or you could drop it off at my house in White Salmon.

Reply here or IM me for my phone number.

Below is a photo of his lake.

Thank you!

Mike Godsey
iWindsurf.com

Xnip2023-08-22_10-44-00.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  765.89 KB
 Viewed:  5487 Time(s)

Xnip2023-08-22_10-44-00.jpg

Last edited by windfind on Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:27 am; edited 2 times in total
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: An appeal free ancient large gear Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I have an old but serviceable 8.5 Sailworks NX (not the best sail for a self taught), and maybe an old aluminum boom long enough to rig it in SLC.
If I can get one of my tribe to bring it up to HR, it could be there about
Aug 30th.

If you're inclined, I can bring it by your place sometime the week of the 30th.

What say you?

-Craig

p.s. is that 460 rdm or SDM?

windfind wrote:
Hi Gang,

I have an appeal to make..

Recently while near the Northern Cascades National Park for a backpacking trip we camped on a small lake. While setting camp we were shocked to see a windsurfer on an ancient long board and tattered sail towards our camp.

When he beached his gear we saw a 12 foot board largely held together with hot glue. And his 7.5 sail, which he said was his "high wind" sail, was partially held together with packing tape. His old aluminum boom had wooden dowels and rope for the end piece and the mast base was a jury rigged pipe. His mast appeared to be heavy fiberglass with lots of repairs.

When we mentioned we were windsurfers he became really excited since he had never met a windsurfer. He had found the rig abandoned rig missing many parts and had "restored" and taught himself to rig and sail. This probably explained the 6 inch folds in his sail. He was shocked when I showed him how much downhaul a sail needs.

His gear was pathetic but his love of windsurfing was amazing.

Unfortunately, in his excitement to talk to us he dragged his sail over a stake and the brittle mylar tore from leech to mast. He is in an extremely isolated place and has no place to buy gear.

I told him that if he could make it to Portland this fall I would give him never used carbon 460 mast and long mast bases but I had no booms or sails in his size range.

I wonder if any you have ancient large sails in the 7.5 to 8.5 range or old booms, mast extensions, universals etc. that you could provide for this guy. Even totally scratched up gear would make this guy ecstatic.

I could pick up the gear or you could drop it off at my house in White Salmon.

Below is a photo of his lake.

Thank you!

Mike Godsey
iWindsurf.com
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craig,

Good to hear from you. The mast is an SDM. IM me for my phone number so we cam set a date and time to meet.

Does any one an old long board in any condition other than being water logged?

Thanks!

Mike
morevert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a couple 7.2M Northwave RX's in near new condition & a 5.8 & like to see this person get. I'm in Hood R. Now if we can just find a Foil for him, he'll really be set
windfind

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morevert wrote:
Hi,
I have a couple 7.2M Northwave RX's in near new condition & a 5.8 & like to see this person get. I'm in Hood R. Now if we can just find a Foil for him, he'll really be set

Hi morevert!

Thank you! Please IM me from this page and I will give you my phone number so can arrange a time and place. If you have issues with IM (it is sort of funky) respond on this page.

Mike Godsey
iWindsurf.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: