myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
You may want to throw away your tie-down straps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: You may want to throw away your tie-down straps Reply with quote

I have amassed literally scores of tie-down straps over many decades with dirt bikes, snowmobiles, kayaks, windsurfers, skis, coolers, cargo boxes, roof racks, trailers, open-bed 4X4s, SUVs, vans, and more. Now that I found Rollercams, I'm doing two things:
1) selectively replacing my ordinary* straps with Rollercam straps, and
2) kicking myself in the ass for not discovering Rollercams sooner.

* "Ordinary", as in a PITA. As in high to very high friction. As in hard to release, hard to rethread when (not IF) the free end slips free, impossible to use as a pulley, hard to brake when releasing against tension (think dirt bikes) ... just hard to work with altogether compared to anything besides a frigging ROPE. The first time I tugged on a Rollercam strap, my face lit up in a big smile. It lifts as well as a smooth pulley AND it brakes/holds like ... well ... like a smooth brake. In tight spots where I used to have to lift a load by hand, hold it with my other hand, and then fight separately to tighten the strap with my third hand, I now just tug on the free end to raise the load AND tighten the strap all in one smooth, FAR easier motion. Not effort, mind you; just motion.

The Rollercam is hands down superior to anything else on the market (including scrounged military straps), and that's even before they added a spring gate to their hooks. In many applications that keeper gate is absolutely mandatory.

I can't wait 'til Rollercam introduces a heftier strap for SERIOUS loads. These are rated at 350 pound working loads (1,050 break strength), but I want three times that separating a stack of three boards from me when I roll my Outback. (I use 10,000 pound military straps to keep 6 boards behind me in my motor home.)

Note: Heaven forbid you use ratchet straps on anything more fragile than a tree trunk. I've seen kayaks and WS boards crushed by them, and a Thule/Yakima roof box wouldn't stand a chance against them. Besides, ratchets are a PITA.
paxtonleiny

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even before they included a spring gate in its hooks, the Rollercam was already miles ahead of the competition, which included salvaged military straps. gorilla tag
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: