myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing / wavesailing with herniated disks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I have personally tripped over my leg/butt straps taking off a seat harness and frankly it's pretty comical to watch."

I guess if you tried to put on or take off your clothes with all the buttons and zippers fastened and in place, it could be a pretty tough job. With my DaKine Speed Seat, you simply release the leg straps before taking it off or putting it on. However, you still have to step in or out of it if you leave the harness bar strap fastened to some degree.

The thing that I like about a low riding seat harness (no added built-in back support) is that it isn't attached in any way to your back. Also, with my back left free, I did not have a specific issue in my back or spine that windsurfing would aggrevate.

For you, maybe your back wants some overall support, particularly with an external hard shell shape that fastens very tightly to your body. In other words, it restricts you in a good way, kind of how a knee brace keeps things together for some that have been injured or compromised in the past.

Overall, I think that you're right. Folks are different, especially given the weaknesses and injuries that may have cropped up over the years. Fortunately, varied harness designs offer different alternatives to fit our needs. No doubt though, the majority of folks choose waist harnesses over seat harnesses. In the style department, they are definitely much cooler looking on the scene.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that I've owned dozens of harnesses and tested at least that many more on the water, I was surprised how much help a shop employee was in selecting my last one. I wound up selecting a kite harness.

Yes, for WSing.

BTW, our core -- the muscles controlling our lumbar spine -- is all about stability, not flexibility. Their reason for living is to prevent, not encourage, extension, rotation, or lateral bending of the lower back. That's the major flaw in doing sit-ups, crunches, and any exercises involving those three actions. Our hip and thoracic/upper back joints and the muscles driving them provide flexibility, while our lumbar spine is there to provide a locked-in foundation for those activities. Thus seat harnesses make a lot of ergonomic sense.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously? I all but ignore this forum for 6-8 months and this problem isn't fixed yet?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: