myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tenerife on a foil?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: Tenerife on a foil? Reply with quote

Anybody have knowledge of foiling on Tenerife? Wing driven. I hear El Medano is the place you wanna be. March timeframe.

Steve
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there last winter & am going again this winter so I can't speak for March. El Medano is surely the place to be. Everything is within walking distance & just a short cab ride from the airport. Great food & the raw fish tacos are to die for. Parking is a PITA if you don't have a spot in an underground garage. I didn't wing foil when I was there because I had 4 days of 30+ knots & 5 days of 25+. I rested on the lighter days or did other things.
Not as many people winging as I thought there would be, probably because of the high wind, onshore wind & shore break at Playa El Medano. On the big days it was brutal for foilers to get out & risky trying to come back in. On the lighter days I saw plenty of wingers as the shore break was much mellower.
Medano beach is long but sectioned off by activities. You have a section for surfers at the NE end, then a buoyed off section for swimming from Hotel Medano down to the Duotone Surf Center. Then you have another section of surfers, followed by a buoyed section launch for wingers, windsurfers & wind foilers. Past that there is a long section down to the pillbox towards Montana Roja that is kiters only launch. You can land there, but are not allowed to launch.

When the tide is good you can launch at the Jetty at Punta del Medano. The wall offers good protection from the swell & it's only a short paddle to the wind line.

Playa de la Jaquita just upwind of Cabezo has less shore break but is rockier and downwind of Medano on the other side of Montana Roja is Playa de la Tejita. Tejita is a long sandy beach with milder shore break. The wind is lighter on the inside because Roja blocks both wind & swells. You would need your own gear to wing at Tejita because there are no shops there.

Coachg
jse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Coach!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: