myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nutty California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 196, 197, 198 ... 203, 204, 205  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vientomas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/oct/27/life-expectancy-us-conservative-liberal-states
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.....Nutty Texas...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/texas-bill-would-say-a-fetus-can-legally-be-a-second-passenger-in-hov-lanes/ar-AA14dLZx
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it's nutty, but it's just a proposed bill. If it passes, then it will be truly nutty, but I doubt that will happen.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
I agree, it's nutty, but it's just a proposed bill. If it passes, then it will be truly nutty, but I doubt that will happen.

But it’s your favorite pastime, awfulizing about some whacky proposal.
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an opinion piece, and not likely to fly, but it's how liberal minds think in Calif. Do the liberals here think this is a good idea?

Quote:
US should avoid Gov. Newsom’s ‘California model’
Opinion by Kerry Jackson

California Gov. Gavin Newsom is touted as the Democrat of the future, the man who could step up if Joe Biden decided not to run again. He has the hair, the teeth, the Hollywood aura, the raspy voice that shows he means business.

But if his pitch is that he wants to make America more like California, we’re in trouble.

Newsom’s latest moment in the national spotlight came Thursday, when reports leaked about the nine-member Reparations Task Force, which “has spent months traveling across California to learn about the generational effects of racist policies and actions.”

When he signed the 2020 bill that established the task force, Newsom called it an important step “in the right direction to building a more inclusive and equitable future for all.”

And here’s the cost: The Task Force will recommend giving every descendant of slaves $223,200, for a total of $569 billion.

That’s almost twice what Sacramento spends in a year in the state budget.

Newsom has set up the ultimate can’t-win scenario in the name of “social justice.” That cost is massive, politically divisive and unlikely to be paid. It also is likely to annoy, or inspire, other groups with historical grievances, such as Native Americans. But if the money isn’t spent, that will only further embitter black activists. Congratulations, Gavin — you made race relations worse.

The reparations effort is another in a long line of California policy proposals and bills that make headlines, set off knowing nods in blue state capitals and city halls, but do nothing to make the state a better place to live.

You know what would make California better? Not having such a lax attitude toward drug dealers that a baby this week overdosed on fentanyl he found while crawling around at a San Francisco playground.

Rolling out the list of troubles in California that have been caused by poor public policy and foolish executive decisions under Newsom and previous administrations is a heavy lift. But here’s a start:

The state’s perpetual drought is man-made, its raging wildfires fueled by misplaced priorities. The brazen street crime that we’ve all seen on video is invited by legislation that incentivizes lawlessness. Somehow the richest state in the country has the highest poverty rate in America as well as a $25 billion budget deficit likely to grow worse in the looming recession.

Businesses are fleeing as are residents; housing is unaffordable; blackouts will become common events due to the Newsom administration’s reckless rush toward an electrical grid powered by only renewables; already-steep energy bills will continue to climb; and public education would get an “F” if grading were still accepted as a means of indicating proficiency.

This is the California model, the baggage that Newsom would lug into the White House if he were ever elected president. The Golden State is a national embarrassment.

Kerry Jackson is a fellow with the Center for California Reform at the Pacific Research Institute.

From a LA Times article:
Quote:

“I think it’s extraordinarily difficult to trace your lineage in the United States back to an enslaved person because it was intentionally made difficult to do so by the power structure because Africans who were stolen from Africa were treated as chattel, treated like cows and horses and pigs,” Holder said.

To help African Americans qualify for reparations designed specifically for descendants of those who were enslaved, Harrell recommends that California cover the cost of proving that lineage, such as funding public records requests and travel, and partner with nonprofits that trace genealogy as a form of reparation.

“To repair genealogy is a part of debt repairing,” Harrell said. “There’s no amount of money that we can put on what it takes to repair. I want to know who I am. That was a birthright that was taken away from me.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-03-28/california-reparations-panel-must-sort-out-tough-emotional-issues
mac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno posts an opinion piece from a libertarian “think” tank. One has to wonder if he has ever read anything about confirmation bias?

There’s lots wrong with California, and a one party rule by Democrats can be authoritarian too. But Techno won’t figure any of it out ignoring pig shit lagoons and bathing his brain in biased opinion pieces instead of facts.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Just an opinion piece, and not likely to fly

And thus I'll ignore it & keep drinking my morning coffee.

Coachg
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One wonders how Kerry Jackson can stomach living in California. Hopefully Jackson will be one of those frustrated right wingers that flee the state for redder pastures.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
techno900 wrote:
Just an opinion piece, and not likely to fly

And thus I'll ignore it & keep drinking my morning coffee.

Coachg

Good idea ... what a pant load as Chandler would say ..
mac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
One wonders how Kerry Jackson can stomach living in California. Hopefully Jackson will be one of those frustrated right wingers that flee the state for redder pastures.

Kerry Jackson writes for the Daily Caller. Need I say more about the quality of Techno's sources and their ability to activate the reptilian centers of Techno's brain?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 196, 197, 198 ... 203, 204, 205  Next
Page 197 of 205

Jump to: