myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Climate Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that and serious mental illness.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to topic. Estimates are that between 15,000 and 53,000 people died from heat during the European heat wave this summer. The Kremlin and the oil companies want you to endorse paranoid theories to avoid doing anything about it. And maybe crazy people, and those being paid by the Kremlin and oil companies.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-24/europe-s-hottest-summer-results-in-20-000-excess-deaths-as-climate-changes
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac

I was reading that without air conditioning in homes some 20000 people would die each year in the US alone. Air conditioners that are fueled, in a large part, by fossil fuels.

So, here’s the rub. Without air conditioning folks die. With more and more of the world needing air conditioning to survive, we accelerate climate change so
We need more air conditioners.

Can renewables keep up with this increased demand? Can we make a switch to renewable air conditions power sources fast enough? I question this. I’ve been trying for six months to get someone to install a new electric mini split to heat my basement. When I finally got a call back, the installed cost was, in a word, breathtaking. I might be able to afford it. But, the payback in savings takes longer than the unit is expected to last.

Most households will not be able to make a switch to update air and heat systems until their’s break down. The reductions that the Biden Admin claims in the climate bill seem to be at odds, to me, with the market driven ability to make the changes.

This is more complicated than greed by fossil fuel providers.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB—all true. Great article in the New Yorker last issue about the many different pieces. Carter was right and visionary, and a carbon tax established while he was President, with rebates for those at lower income levels, would have been the most effective and efficient way to bend the CO2 curve down. Didn’t happen.

Virtue signaling by Democrats doesn’t make a difference either. But the incentives in the Obama stimulus bill have had a real impact on technology, and the costs of renewables has dropped nearly an order of magnitude. There are promising concepts for new ideas like cheap batteries that may be scalable, and plenty of flaky ideas that won’t work. None of it will be fast enough to prevent the world of my grandchildren being hellish in many places. Billions of people will be on the move, millions are now. There is enough heat already stored in the ocean to assure us of at least 50 years of warming, even if we reduce CO2 to negligible levels. Say goodby to much of the ski season.

I disagree on the role of big oil. They helped make Carter a one term President, and killed all approaches that would have bent their sales curve down until Obama’s election.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid we missed our chance to make effective changes during the Carter years. True that the oil companies were not Carter’s friend. But, the bottom line is that consumers have no stomach for high fuel prices and will punish politicians that propose policies that affect short term fuel prices.

We have become fat and lazy and climate change is someone else’s problem. Oil companies make a great target. But the real problem is our attitude. I believe the behavior of the carbon industry is related to the attitude of the average American.

I’m driving to Baja to kitesurf and windsurf. I flew to Peru last fall for an extended kiting surf trip. I’ll think about the carbon I’m emitting. But I’m still gonna go. I don’t even know anyone who doesn’t have this sort of attitude. Maybe you don’t travel but you are probably in the minority for well to do retired professionals your age!
MikeLaRonde

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever

Last edited by MikeLaRonde on Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
vientomas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step off
MikeLaRonde

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vientomas wrote:
Step off

If your world is a spinning evil magic carpet, I would advise just that.

OK fine, enough games. The answer is PEAK OIL.

This simple phrase probably sounds like just another conspiracy propaganda to many. But anyone familiar with the theory knows that it inevitably results in a dramatic reduction in world population.

Even if you don't think PO is a THING, the one thing people really need to understand is the relationships between "fossil" fuels, the world fertilizer/grain markets, and the sustainable (NEAR term!) population.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The piano has been drinking.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the world warms, AC demand increases, but doesn't the heating demand drop. Is there balance?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 190 of 194

Jump to: