myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Climate Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 179, 180, 181 ... 192, 193, 194  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
A model Y will take about 6 months, CB.

Yep. Well. I'm not in the market for a $60k car. This has to make sense economically also since it is a business vehicle and the IRS sets limits. I wouldn't own a car that cost $60k under any circumstances. But, it's a moot point to get one anyway before the end of the year when it needs to go on the books. I have to stick to a car that is sold in the region. That leaves out Tesla anyway. Toyota, Ford, Volkswagen all build vehicles that are perfect for me...I just have to wait a year to get one.

That's what my complaint is. It shouldn't take 6 months to a year to get a car, or solar panels or a new HVAC system when we are trying to reduce our carbon footprint.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not just EV's, its all durables.. I like the VW EV.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. It's frustrating. I'm being lectured to quit driving my pickup and I can't find anything to replace it!

The reason I am bringing this up in this thread is that many of us would do things to make our consumption of fossil fuels less but it is not easy. Just to plug in my EV (if I can find one) is a $1000 bill from my electrician who is also 6 months out. Retooling for a more responsible energy consumption lifestyle is more than just deciding to do it.

What can Joe Biden do about this? Not much. But, I think it would help if the current Administration would be honest about this. There is a huge market for EV right now and no product availability.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
While we are discussing GW and what to do about it....

I am trying to look at purchasing an EV. Really, only for the fact that I can run it off of a high percentage of solar electricity between my two houses. In fact, I have excess capacity at my office/residence down valley and I could commute almost carbon free.

BUT. I cannot find an EV and I need to have one by the end of the year to use as a business auto. Some are running $10K over sticker if I can find one at all. I finally have about given up. My friend is trying to re-do his HVAC system with one that will use half the energy and cannot find anyone to install it. Another project I am designing we cannot get solar panels before we need them before winter.

I listen to the "green" proponents talk and talk and talk. But, without products on the market, there is not a lot many of us can do right now except to conserve energy.

CB—the supply chain problems are universal, and almost certainly have nothing to do with either the Trump or the Biden administrations. I worked in the shipping industry while the idea of “just in time” delivery became standard. Certainly holding less inventory, and the ability to ship directly to an end user rather than from warehouse to warehouse had the benefit of saving costs, which became some combination of consumer savings and greater profit. The system worked fine—until it didn’t. Add in lower levels of protection for blue collar workers during the darkest days of the pandemic and you had people leaving factories throughout the world, and also leaving trucking, and warehousing. Less manufacturing, less transport, less storage. My American-made windows took 3 months to get here.

I can’t see this as anything except a failure of the unfettered market system. I’ve seen it multiple times. Big houses were more profitable than small houses, and generated more tax revenue so local governments like them. Lo and behold we have a housing supply problem, and not just in the blue states. There is a very long list.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be... We are a year away from a flood of EV's if the world can produce them. The Semi supply chain is a big reason why. Personally I own 3 hybrid/plug -in hybrids. I love the plug in hybrid. EV around town, hybrid on trips.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac

I realize there is an issue in every industry right now. We are still seeing the aftermath of a global shut down. My industry is shortage driven right now. My gripe is that we are being told one thing...buy an EV...yet, not told that we don't get too for awhile.

Most Americans look at what they do over the next few months. Not the next few years. I need a new car now...not next year...so I won't be buying an EV for a decade cause that's how long I keep a work car. I'm not the only person making these sorts of decisions. Sometimes there are ramifications that go well beyond good intentions.

Boggsman. I had an order in on a RAV4 plug in hybrid before I got extended out 24 months...24 months!!! I have to have an SUV to get to job sites in the winter and there really are a limited supply. I MIGHT be able to get a Honda plug in...maybe...
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
I'm having a hard time with the idea that the policies of a President who has been in office for two years can have such a large impact on how the EU sources their energy.

Did anyone suggest that he has? BTW, incredibly, we haven't even reached 18 months yet

coboardhead wrote:
Should we be selling our "cleaner" hydrocarbons fuels to the EU, Mrgybe?

We are. LNG exports to the EU have doubled this year representing 75% of our export gas. Germany had zero LNG import terminals, but has bypassed all the usual EU red tape to commence construction of 4 onshore facilities. They are renting other floating hubs. In the interim they are reopening lignite fired power plants and are imposing energy rationing. They have had a very swift lesson in the limits of "renewables' and reliance on hostile countries for the carbon energy that actually powers their country.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boggsy, California uses 1.8 million barrels of crude oil a day. It was producing around 1.2 million barrels per day in 1985. There is little doubt that the huge advances in oil extraction over the past 37 years, combined with CAs large reserves, would enable CA to produce as much as it uses, and more. It has chosen to rely on others for its needs and, no matter how you characterize it, to outsource the grimy business of energy extraction. In so doing it has caused net detriments to the CA economy, to the environment and to your own security. On a national level, the Biden Administration is doing the same thing. Bobbing and weaving does not change those facts.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germanys swift lesson is to double down on renewables. With the Ukraine pipe dry, they will be ramping up renewables with a goal of 80% renewables by 2030. There is no country more ambitious gybe.

In 1990 the had 3.4%, now they are about 42%. Yes they are sorely in need of self sufficiency, I grant you they are toast now, but no country is more ambitious.

“Cant be done gybe” is is Debbie downer. Do you still watch black and white TV with a dial? Climate change is scorching the planet and he could give a shit. Never in Earths history has C02 been recorded above 300 ppm. Never. If we go back 5 million years, the records clearly show between now and then, multiple cycles of ice and normal. This planet is mostly an ice planet dating back hundreds of millions of years. With many periods of ice covering the entire planet. Yet just a short time ago (5 million years), before plate techtonics were a factor, tropical plants and animals were in Alaska with co2 never peaking above 300? How do we know this? Fucking science assholes. The kind that delivers James Webb. What does that say about c02?

Right now we are at 400. Never in this planets history have we ever seen 400. Not with volcanism or anything. It’s not in the records Gybe. In the 1800’s it was 300. The top end of the scale, coming out of the ice cycle, 10,000 years ago. We are as warm as it gets now in the history of Earth and getting hotter exponentially, just like Gores graph you mock.

Ice corresponds exactly with lower c02. It always has. In periods of Ice, It is always in the 200’s. How do we know this? Many things show it including fig leaves and fossils of fig leaves. The way they use Co2. We have done experiments replicating exactly the fossilized intake of Co2 on fig leaves in different Co2 chambers. It’s in the fossils. Not to mention trapped gas in ice cores and permafrost and caves. Never in the planets history (going back 300 million years) have we ever seen 400 gybe. Fucking ever. Self righteous Mr. know it all with the European date wrong on the heat wave is oh so self righteous. What a jerk. Actually he is not a jerk, just wrong about Earths history and the relation of C02 to heat.

Sent from my iPad
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J64TWB wrote:
Germanys swift lesson is to double down on renewables. With the Ukraine pipe dry, they will be ramping up renewables with a goal of 80% renewables by 2030. There is no country more ambitious gybe.

In 1990 the had 3.4%, now they are about 42%. Yes they are sorely in need of self sufficiency, I grant you they are toast now, but no country is more ambitious.

“Cant be done gybe” is is Debbie downer. Do you still watch black and white TV with a dial? Climate change is scorching the planet and he could give a shit. Never in Earths history has C02 been recorded above 300 ppm. Never. If we go back 5 million years, the records clearly show between now and then, multiple cycles of ice and normal. This planet is mostly an ice planet dating back hundreds of millions of years. With many periods of ice covering the entire planet. Yet just a short time ago (5 million years), before plate techtonics were a factor, tropical plants and animals were in Alaska with co2 never peaking above 300? How do we know this? Fucking science assholes. The kind that delivers James Webb. What does that say about c02?

Right now we are at 400. Never in this planets history have we ever seen 400. Not with volcanism or anything. It’s not in the records Gybe. In the 1800’s it was 300. The top end of the scale, coming out of the ice cycle, 10,000 years ago. We are as warm as it gets now in the history of Earth and getting hotter exponentially, just like Gores graph you mock.

Ice corresponds exactly with lower c02. It always has. In periods of Ice, It is always in the 200’s. How do we know this? Many things show it including fig leaves and fossils of fig leaves. The way they use Co2. We have done experiments replicating exactly the fossilized intake of Co2 on fig leaves in different Co2 chambers. It’s in the fossils. Not to mention trapped gas in ice cores and permafrost and caves. Never in the planets history (going back 300 million years) have we ever seen 400 gybe. Fucking ever. Self righteous Mr. know it all with the European date wrong on the heat wave is oh so self righteous. What a jerk. Actually he is not a jerk, just wrong about Earths history and the relation of C02 to heat.

Sent from my iPad

Oh, he is a jerk. A snarky know it all that is too defensive to admit a mistake. CO2 is actually now over 417 ppm. The man who set the Hawaii monitoring station up, Charles Keeling, taught me about climate change—about 40 years ago. Gybe has gotten to be quite well off shilling for the deniers. Who am I going to believe, a brilliant scientist who thought the collection of data would lead to sensible change, or a serial liar who is a shill for the cook the planet crime family? London and Spain are on fire—Gybe is whining because California isn’t doing more fracking.

Remember, Gybe has flacked for EXXON—the sign of the double cross—who lied about their research that showed CO2 would warm the climate, and their proprietary oxygenate, MTBE, would contaminate water. https://www.reuters.com/article/exxon-mobil-new-hampshire-mtbe/nh-court-upholds-236-mln-water-pollution-judgment-against-exxon-idINL5N1223ZI20151002

Exxon lost the case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 179, 180, 181 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 180 of 194

Jump to: